Multiple Choice Quiz Question Issues

Multiple Choice Quiz Question Issues

by Kathy M -
Number of replies: 11

Moodle 3.1.7 (Build: 20170710)

All of a sudden when I try to write a multiple choice question, the question always shows 5 answers some of which are blank.

For example, I enter a question that has 4 choices, when I view it, it shows 5 choices and one of them is blank. If I put 3 choices, when I view it, it shows 5 choices with two of the blank. etc.

Any help with how to troubleshoot this or what to do??

Attachment notworking.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kathy M

Re: Multiple Choice Quiz Question Issues

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

When other people have encountered this in the past, it has been caused by a browser extension. When editing the question, in the HTML editor, click the view source button (the one that looks like <>). You will probably find that there is some content in the editor that is invisible. Hopefully, what that content is will give you some clue where it is coming from.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Kathy M -

I did look to see if there was any hidden tags or anything that I could not see and the answer field was blank.

In reply to Kathy M

by Kathy M -

The problem seems to be that the moodle is not ignoring cells that are blank. I have issues making matching problems also because I can't leave anything that is showing as blank. For example, On the matching, I opened blanks for more questions and it is trying to force me to put something into those cells or I can't save the problem.

I look at the source and it shows as empty.

But how can I fix this or troubleshoot the problem?

In reply to Kathy M

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, for almost everyone, Moodle does correctly treat the blank editor boxes as blank.

What we have to work out is: why does this thing that works for everyone else not work for you?

Here are some things to try:

• Try using some different web browsers on your site.
  • Try creating some questions at https://qa.moodle.net/ using your normal web browser.

Basically, you need to try changing one thing at a time, until we find which factor seems to be responsible. Then we know where to investigate further.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Kathy M -

Thank you for your reply. It was determined to be an issue with a plugin. The plugin developers plan to release a bug fix in their next release. In the meantime, I am using a workaround...copy other questions and edit them to make new ones.

In reply to Kathy M

by Toni Soto -

Hi Kathy,

I'm facing the same issue. Only happen in my production site with all browsers so it must be a plugin recently upgraded. Could you share which is the plugin which is causing this issue?

Updated: I fixed it switching off a filter, so ... I think the responsible filter starts with W****. Do they already know what's wrong or should I report them?

Toni

In reply to Toni Soto

by Kathy M -

Yes, it is the W***S plugin. They are aware and will fix it on the next update! Hopefully that will be soon. 

In reply to Kathy M

by WIRIS team -
Picture of Plugin developers

Kathy and Toni,

Our WIRIS filter October release (4.8.1)  has a bug which, in some scenarios,  marks a non-modified Atto instance as a modified Atto one. The blank choices in a multichoice editing form was being marked as modified content and saved as blank choices. 

Fortunately the issue is fixed in our latest release (4.9.1). 

Best regards,

WIRIS team, 

In reply to WIRIS team

by WIRIS team -
Picture of Plugin developers

Just in case the previous message was not clear enough, 4.9 is already published

You can download it from the Moddle Plugins directoryhttps://moodle.org/plugins/filter_wiris 

Thanks, 

In reply to WIRIS team

by Toni Soto -

I installed the filter and it fixed the issue.

Thank you. smile

In reply to Toni Soto

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

We suddenly have the same problem with empty choices being shown in the quiz!

We don't have wiris installed on the site, and I don't have it in the browser. Is still installing the filter the solution?

Using Moodle 3.4.4