A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

by Juan Leyva -
Number of replies: 129
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi everyone,

The Moodle Mobile and UX team at Moodle HQ are pleased to announce that a new version of the Moodle Mobile app will be released at the same time as Moodle 3.5 (around May 2018).

What will the new Moodle Mobile app look like?

The new Moodle Mobile app version will come with several UX (user experience), performance and design improvements.

The new changes we are going to implement will give the app a modern look & feel, making it easier to use by learners and teachers. In our objective effort to offer a seamless experience between devices, the new app design will be more consistent with Moodle 3.5.

To make the new app awesome (in terms of look, feel and usability) we needed new frameworks and tools. This also means that we also require the use of modern mobile devices.

Hence the new Moodle Mobile app version will only work on Android 4.4 or iOS 8 onwards devices.

If you have an older device you will still be able to install and use older versions of Moodle Mobile app.

How would this change impact site administrators and developers?

Administrators will need to upgrade to Moodle 3.1 onwards if they want the new app to work on their sites (older Moodle sites will still be supported via a legacy app).

Developers will need to update their remote add-ons to Ionic 3. We are working on an easier way to support Moodle plugins in the app so developers would be able to choose whether they want to update the remote add-on or support the plugin via the new “easy way”.

FAQ:

Is it going to be a totally new app in the stores?

No, it will be just an update of the existing app.

I’m using the app in a very old device (Android 4.3 or iOS 7) what will happen?

Your Moodle Mobile app won’t be upgraded to the new version but you will be still able to use your current Moodle Mobile app.

My site is running a Moodle version lower than 3.1, what will happen?

The new app version won’t work for your site. App users will be notified about this when logging-in.  They will see a notice with a link to download the legacy app for old sites.

I developed a remote add-on for the app, what should I do?

We’ll still support remote add-ons if they are upgraded to use Ionic 3 but at the same time, we’ll be providing an easier way to support Moodle plugins in the app.

This new way won’t be compatible with all the existing remote add-ons although, for example, if you want to develop a question type you would still need to create a remote add-on.

What will happen with existing remote add-ons in the new app?

If they are not upgraded, they won’t work.

Regards, Juan

Average of ratings: Useful (12)
In reply to Juan Leyva

Re: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Do you have any wireframes/screen shots to tease us with Juan?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

we'll share screenshots and we'll ask for feedback but not in the short-term

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Juan, sounds good and thanks for alerting me about it, as we were about to embark on some development for remote app add-ons.  Sounds like quite a major change...

A few questions here:

1. If the legacy app is still supported (for old phones from before 2014 when Android 4.4 became common) then shouldn't remote add-ons actually be provided potentially in both formats? I.e. there should be something in mobile.php allowing you to specify if an add-on is 'new' or 'old' format, potentially allowing different files for both? Obviously we don't really want to do this but it sounds like something you might at least want to allow in theory?

2. Is there going to be a way for the site to prevent users to connect with the legacy app, i.e. a Moodle admin sertting to set a required app version? We are likely to be completely dependent on custom add-ins (so that it wouldn't do anything useful without them) - the default app can't cope with displaying our custom course formats, for instance. It would be confusing for users on older Android devices if they can download the legacy app, connect to our site, and then have a basically broken experience with nothing available, or only a few things.

3. Any idea when the new app is likely to be available from the point of view of a remote add-on developer? I see the release is May 2018 but when can we reasonably start developing for it given there might be a few bugs - are we expecting code freeze in April like normal Moodle?

By the way I've just made a helpful page on our internal wiki that explains the full process of how to set up the app to develope a remote add-in; I guess this will be relevant only for the 'more complicated' version in future! I was wondering about making it publicly available but it sounds like it might be out of date pretty soon.

Thanks!

--sam

In reply to sam marshall

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Sam,

thanks for your good questions:

1) Yes, we plan to allow the two formats. We still have to make a few decisions but you will be able to have two zip files, one for the legacy/old app and one for the new one. 

2) The plan is to notify the user that he is using an old app and he may have a bad experience when he tries to connect to a >= 3.1 site. But sounds good to have a way to prevent it so maybe we'll plan something.

3) We don't have a date yet but our plan is to support remote add-ons as soon as possible to developers can update them. End of February beginning of March sounds good (2 months). We are also working in a new way to make easier to support plugins in the app (if you don't mind I'll ask for your feedback)

I think it would be good to share that wiki page, I'm going to add a notice in all the existing ones explaining that this will get outdated soon  pointing to this post.

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Juan for those helpful answers. We're very happy to give feedback when you want (by the way, Tim Hunt is also involved in this from our end so if I happen to be away or something, you can ask him too).

Since our internal wiki is private, I reformatted the tutorial I wrote and made a copy in the Moodle dev wiki here. I also linked it from the page about remote add-ons. Not really sure this is useful, do feel free to delete it if necessary. The basic idea of that tutorial is that some of the documentation sort of starts from 'I want to build the Moodle mobile app' and then moves on from there to 'now how do you do a remote add-on', whereas I wanted to start from 'I know nothing about mobile development let alone Moodle mobile' and go straight to the remote add-on.

We're currently scheduled to spend just a short time investigating the app development. Tim and I talked about it and we're going to continue with the investigation (which is basically going to mean implementing sketchy versions of the current remote add-ons for a couple of our internal plugins) with the current app. That way we can get a head start with development when the new version becomes available and we'll be in a better position to make decisions like whether we can use the new simpler method, and so on!

--sam

In reply to Juan Leyva

by MAurice Kokonya -

Hi Juan,

This is very good news, is there a time frame to expect the Beta version?

Regards

Maurice

In reply to MAurice Kokonya

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Maurice,

we don't have a date yet but during March we should have an alpha or beta working version ready for testing.

Regards, Juan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Juan Leyva

by MAurice Kokonya -

Thanks Juan, really looking forward to it.

Regards

Maurice

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Clément Prudhomme -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Juan,

Thank you for the (good) news.

I ask me something about Ionic 3 and I try to identify the best time to work on add-on for Moodle Mobile.

I saw in the tracker an issue (MOBILE-2163) about update to Ionic 3. This seems planned with Moodle Mobile version 3.4.
Do you schedule to use Ionic 3 only for the new version of May or with the next version ?

Best regards.

In reply to Clément Prudhomme

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

the new version of the app using Ionic 3 will be released May next year.

If you want to support a plugin in the app you could wait until March, I think that in that time we'll have a stable base core and some documentation for creating or migrating existing plugins.

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Clément Prudhomme -

Hi Juan,

Thank your for your feedback.

Best Regards.

Clément

by Dnyaneshwar Somwanshi -

Thanks juan for a great news.

Looking forward for release.

Eagerly waiting for the moment.

Regards

In reply to Juan Leyva

by saif khan -

Hi Juan,

Its a pretty good news.I am very happy to see..Juan i have some question about upcoming update.

1) Does new version will show Mentees block in mobile App.I think block is not visible in this version.

2) Does custom css style will change the site and login style(theme color) also ?

In reply to saif khan

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

1) Unfortunately not, it is on the roadmap but not implemented yet

2) Yes, styles will change. You may need to create a new stylesheet (will try to make an easy transition)

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Juan Leyva -

Hello again,

this is the draft spec of the new simple way of supporting plugins in the mobile app. For now, is called "Server PHP side code", we'll decide how to name it soon (maybe Site add-ons or something similar).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N4eZlYXnPnEyB0Xf7Of7AF7qty-wXcQg9N1ok9txSEg/edit?usp=sharing

Please, feel free to comment.

Note that this is a draft spec of a functionality we plan to implement in following months that won't be fully documented until March 2018 and that will be supported only in the new version of the app released in May 2018.

Developers will be able to start working on supporting their plugins in March 2018 (when everything is documented and supported in the alpha/development version of the app).

In reply to Juan Leyva

回复: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

by 建平 贺 -

请教:moodle移动应用怎么添加中文化词条啊?3.32版的简体中文化还很不够啊。在自己的moodle平台上定制语言字符串好像也没效果啊?

How to add a Chinese cultural entry for moodle mobile application?3.32 the simplified Chinese culture is not enough.Custom language strings on your moodle platform doesn't seem to work, too?

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Walter Byrd -

I don't suppose the new mobile app will work with H5P?

In reply to Walter Byrd

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

That will be down to H5P to write the remote plugin support for the app. Unless someone pays moodle HQ's team to do it I imagine.

Best off asking H5P if they have it on their own development roadmap.

In reply to Dave Perry

回复: Re: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

by Amertas Gnakser -

How do I care about the compatibility of software . i have Android and iPhone  (Android 6.2.0 , iPhone 7)

When i switch this app between Android and iPhone , is there any issues to happend ?

In reply to Amertas Gnakser

Re: 回复: Re: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

in iPhone 7 you still will be able to use the old version of the app but you will not enjoy the new design and functionality coming in the new version.

But you won't experience any error or problem

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Elton LaClare -

Juan,

I'm very excited about the new mobile app coming in May...

I have one question concerning players (specifically audio players) within the mobile app. At the moment, the mobile app is using the default player styling for either Apple or Android. Are there any plans for creating an audio player skin specifically for the Moodle Mobile App? 

The reason I ask is that I just finished collecting student feedback for a research project I'm doing related to the mobile app. Students responded to questions about how and when they used the app as well as any difficulties they encountered. The most common comment related to usability was: 

"I don't know how to get back to the main (course) page after I finish a quiz" (translated from Japanese)

The other most common comments were:

"I cannot easily scroll on pages with audio players." (translated from Japanese)

and

"Audio player has a strange icon that is confusing." (translated from Japanese)

Concerning this last comment, it comes from students using the iPhone and refers to the icon shown in the attached images as well as the message users receive if they touch it.

Is it possible that the redesigned app will include an audio player skin that is better suited for small screens and scrolling?

Thank you for all your efforts thus far in improving the Moodle Mobile app. 

Attachment IMG_1938.PNG
Attachment IMG_1939.PNG
In reply to Elton LaClare

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Elton,

right now we don't have plans to create or use any library or skin for audio players.

The problem with scrolling happens with videos too, and it's something we forced in order to make audio/video controls work fine in Ionic. Hopefully this will be fixed with Ionic 3, but I haven't reached that point yet.

The weird icon will still be shown though, I also find it confusing. Maybe it's displayed because the audio file is in the device? Do you know if it is displayed in Safari browser too?

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Juan Leyva

回复: Re: 回复: Re: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

by Amertas Gnakser -

But why my mobile phone appear some problems, I installed it, but the phone has been in the page load state, I was afraid, I have to restart the mobile phone, but after that, the software icon is still on the phone screen, but found that there are some data and other application is missing, do you have other Mobilevapp can restore or solve them  ?

In reply to Amertas Gnakser

by Shehab Shehab -

If your phone data is missing without backup, you still have the chance to get them back with a recovery application. Just do it as soon as possible to avoide overwritting them by new data.

In reply to Shehab Shehab

by Shehab Shehab -
If your phone data is missing without backup, you still have the chance to get them back with a recovery application. Just do it as soon as possible to avoide overwritting them by new data.
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Alif Jordan Fransisco -

Hi, Juan

can u advise minimum device requirement for next moodle mobile.

because for june, 2018 i must prepare device for student in my school program using moodle mobile for learning and test.

kind regards

alif 

In reply to Alif Jordan Fransisco

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

the minimum requirements will be Android 4.4 and iOS 8. However, devices with Android 4.4 can give some problems with new certificate protocols, so if you can get Android 5 or higher it will be better smile

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Steve Massicotte -

Hi,

will you migrate all of the code to Angular 5 or will you stick to 1.6 ?

Thanks

Steve

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is there going to be a Chromebook version?  This seems pretty vital in today's K12 world...

In reply to Juan Leyva

Tracker issue

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

in this issue: MOBILE-2163 you will find the initial list of tasks related to the Migration to Ionic 3

Is still early to play with the new version so I'd suggest you to wait for the first week of March when we will have most of the existing Delegates implemented, an example of each type of add-on/handler and a more solid API.

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Dan Jeffries -

Hi Juan! 

Excited about the new updates and hopefully we can see some of these at the Moot in March. 

Can you confirm if Bootstrap will be supported in 3.5? We use both the Bootstrap Elements plugin and Bootstrap alerts in Labels and we need to decide whether to replace them with something else or wait for the new version if it supports this. 

Thanks! 

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Dan Jeffries -

Hi Juan

Sorry to ask again. Any chance you could give some indication on this? It makes a big difference in terms of whether we hold on for 3.5 and reconsider our launch or amend our courses and launch now.

Thanks smile

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Dan,

sorry, I totally missed this post.

We are thinking about supporting bootstrap yes, could you list here the styles (or links to bootstrap doc) that you use? or those widely used you are aware of?

I can't promise it will be ready for 3.5 though, we are really really busy and we need to check how the Moodle 3.5 boostrap 4 update will affect those styles 

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Ian MacKinnon -

Hi Juan,

What’s the current outlook for Bootstrap compatibility with 3.5? I would say it needs to support all the components but as a minimum: Alerts, Buttons, Labels, Tables, Grid (all with the styled classes eg info, primary, success, danger etc).

Outstide of BS there have been issues with basic CSS styling (eg h1-6). Will these be fixed for the new release?

Cheers,
Ian

In reply to Ian MacKinnon

by Pau Ferrer Ocaña -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ian!

Thanks for your question. We are currently working on the new version and we don't have the final image of what we will support. As you may know, Ionic and Bootstrap have many things in common but also it could create conflicts. It's not easy to support everything and there are many Bootstrap versions.

However, we will support main content format classes like text-left, right, center... text-success, danger etc... In order to discuss and improve all this topic I've created an issue. We should discuss the scope of Bootstrap and Fontawesome support.

Have a great day! Cheers!

Pau

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Jeff Campbell -

Hi Juan,

I'm looking forward to the MM update!  We're looking to create an add-on, and I'm wondering if 3.5 will enable the camera on the phone and include a QR code reader.  Our add-on and plugins like Treasure Hunt would really benefit from this feature.  If it wasn't in your original plans, can you please add this ability?  It would make a HUGE difference for us.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Campbell

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Jeff,

- Enable the camera on the phone. It is already enabled because we allow the app to take photos and record videos

- QR code reader. Not in our plans, although I imagine there will be JS libraries doing that (once you've captured a photo though)

There is no native support for a QR code reader in Cordova and, as good practice, we try to not include 3rd party plugins (because sometimes are discontinued).

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Jeff Campbell -

Hi Juan, thanks for your reply.  Good to know about the camera, and hopefully we can find a solution for our QR code reader.  I look forward to seeing the new appsmile

In reply to Jeff Campbell

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers

yes, the QR-Code reader would be a helpful extension. It can help to select the right learning module in the field very quickly.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Janko Harej -

Hi,

is there any way to change plans and include  QR code reader in moodle mobile? If this happens, we will be able to support the organization of entire conferences (or other events) with moodle mobile as we've funded the development of booking plugin. We are already able to publish events in Moodle (and through web service and wordpress plugin in wordpress), book users, send them to the appropriate course, show users their bookings, communicate with them. The only item missing is to check in the users with moodle mobile, but we need support for qr codes for that ...

thanks for your time and bye

Janko

In reply to Janko Harej

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Janko,

how do you see QR scanning working on the app? Do you want to have it just available in the app to be used in a plugin?

As far as I understand, you 'd have to develop an activity module or something like that to do "something" with the scanned text, right?

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Juan Leyva -

As I mentioned in my previous posts, we’ve been working on a new way for supporting plugins in the Mobile app.

We published an initial draft specification and last month we started its implementation, during the implementation process we decided to make the following changes to the initial plans in order to make developers life easier:

• There will be just one way to support plugins in the app.

• This new way will allow developers to support plugins using PHP code, templates and Ionic markup (html components).

• The use of Javascript will be optional (but some type of advanced plugins may require it)

This means that remote add-ons won’t be necessary anymore and developers won’t have to learn Ionic 3 / Angular and set-up a new mobile development environment to migrate them.

We’ll be updating the existing documentation during this week, providing examples (already developed) so developers will have at least 3 months to update their existing remote add-ons to the new simpler way.

Note also that if you are using “Remote themes” you will need to update them to match the new app styles (we’ll update the documentation soon so you can do it in advance keeping backward compatibility with older versions).

Please, don’t hesitate to contact us (via this forum in a public conversation) if you developed a remote add-on and you may need assistance once we've published the docs.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Gabriel Mazin -

Hello Juan, how are you? I would recommend an improvement on auth SSO. Many users complain that sometimes the authentication token in the webview does not return.

As I use Joomdle (and many of the community), an implementation equal to "auth with mail" would be interesting. So that in the application screen itself appears Login and Registration.

In reply to Juan Leyva

Mobile support for plugins documentation

by Juan Leyva -
Hi again,

here is the documentation for supporting plugins on the mobile app:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VnmhyJFhbnsfDJwjHYQy9yOzkbNsfsXD5kuSns9V3K4/edit#heading=h.swhxeed4lfcm

Please note that some changes are not integrated yet on Moodle 3.5 so there could be minor changes (in the PHP part)

Please, remember also that this will require your site to be updated to Moodle 3.5 or to use the Moodle Mobile additional features plugin.

If you have any doubt, please use this forum

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Arshad Syed -

Is this new Moodle mobile app 3.5 is available free for download from playstore....?

In reply to Arshad Syed

by Yusuf Yilmaz -

Hello Arshad,

Version 3.5 of MoodleMobile app is planned to release in May. So hang in tight smile We are all looking forward to use it.

Best regards

YY

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Claudio ancooor -

Hi Juan,

thank you for the excellent work.

Why did you decide to not support older version of moodle? It is just to encourage users to update their moodle instance or "MM New" requires particular functions that cannot be implemented like MM Additional Features?

Many thanks

Claudio

In reply to Claudio ancooor

by Dani Palou -

Hi Claudio,

there were several reasons for that. One of them is to simplify the code of the app, we had too many checks of Moodle version (like: if it's 2.9+ do this, otherwise do that). For example, in the new app we were able to simplify a lot the way to check if a downloaded activity needs to be refreshed. 

Also, having to backport WebServices to Moodle 2.6+ using Additional Features meant a lot of work, and every time a new version of Moodle is released it's even more work because there are more versions to backport to. And not all the features can be backported with Additional Features, the latest ones like Lesson and Workshop were too complex for that.

These are the main reasons for raising the version. Moodle 3.1 is a LTS and was released 2 years ago (by the time of the release), so we thought it was acceptable. If someone wants to stick to a previous Moodle, they can always use the old app.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Ted Long -

Looking forward to this being released around May smile

Can you confirm whether there will be greater ability to customise, specifically around what we choose to appear in the menu of the App and that sort of thing?

In reply to Ted Long

by Elton LaClare -

Ted,

You can already change what appears in the menu via the Site Administration settings. If you go to Site administration/Mobile app/Mobile features you will see that you can disable (remove) items from the main menu.

Attachment Capture.PNG

by Ted Long -

Oh my, how did I miss that! Haha - thank you smile

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Roland Sherwood -
Hi Juan. Apologies if this has already been asked and addressed previously/elsewhere (I did do a quick search but couldn't turn up anything relevant), but please can you confirm whether the existing methods for building custom versions of the app will still be supported - in particular the PhoneGap Build method?
In reply to Roland Sherwood

by Grayson Bartlet -

Undoubtedly.

Anyway, this new version is upgrading to Ionic 3. Does that mean you'll be using ES6?

In reply to Grayson Bartlet

by Dani Palou -

Hi Grayson,

we're using Typescript and ES6 to write the app's code. When Ionic builds the app, it transpiles all that code to ES5.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Juan Leyva

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Dani Palou -

Hi Steffen,

unfortunately we probably won't be able to make this in time for 3.5, so it might be delayed to the next version.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Kiran Derle -

Hello Juan/Dani,

I am using demo of moodle mobile app 3.5 on the given link. Things I found out is in design part:

1. In the course module, I have several topics. The dropdown showing sections/topics button is not user-friendly, I mean its very difficult to locate the same. See if you can give a button or something.

2. Can't user enroll for the course directly from mobile app? instead of going to a web browser!

3. On several pages for my site, new app shows "addon...attempt quiz now" "addon..startquiz" etc. like buttons.

4. List of topics in course, can have some styles.Its difficult to understand for leyman user that he/she needs click on those topics/section, which are shows just like texts.

Hope you consider this!

Regards,

Kiran Derle

In reply to Kiran Derle

by Dani Palou -

Hi Kiran,

thank you for your feedback.

1. I'll tell this to our UX team to see if they can improve this.
  2. In the app we support self enrol and PayPal enrolment. To do so, first you need to find the course (search the course using the top right icon in the dashboard, or navigate to it from Site Home if enabled). Once in there you should see an enrolment button.
  3. We fixed this.
  4. This is the same as number 1, right?

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Kiran Derle -

Hello Sir,

Thanks a lot for the reply!

1. Thanks for consideration.

2. When I click on site home as a normal user in demo app, I dont see all available courses.

3. Thanks for fixing it up.

4. Yes. Sorry for the repetition.

Now have few more:

5. I have updated language pack in moodle. For e.g. in my website it correctly updated as "Start Test Now" But in app, it still uses default language Attempt Quiz etc.

6. In topic drop-down function, can you give % of topic done by a user. This will help user to select uncovered topic there itself.

Thank you very much.

In reply to Kiran Derle

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

For point 5, did you try to disconnect from the platform, and then connect again?

In reply to Kiran Derle

by Dani Palou -

Hi,

in here I'm only going to answer your questions related to the new app and new features. I'll answer the "support" questions via private message since they don't belong to this post.

6. We'll do it in a near future, we couldn't make it in time for 3.5.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Kiran Derle

by Marc Celeiro -

Therefore, is a link already available to download the Beta version?

Thank you.

In reply to Marc Celeiro

by Ted Long -

Are there any images of what the new version looks like? Keen to see how the new app looks and what improvement there have been but can’t seem to find any. 

In reply to Ted Long

by Dani Palou -

Hi,

We still don't have a beta APK to test, but you can see the new version using the webapp:

https://mobileapp.moodledemo.net

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Fabio G -

Hello Dani,

thanks for sharing the link, really useful.

I'm wondering where I can find the source code on Github about this new version.

Many thanks, Fabio.

In reply to Fabio G

by Ted Long -

Is there a release date for this yet?

Thanks

Eddie

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

we've been a bit delayed by all the GDPR stuff, right now, I can't guarantee a date (we don't want to release something not really well-tested) but we are thinking on the week of the 4tfh of June)

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Grayson Bartlet -

Are these directions updated for 3.5? It kind of looks like they are.

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Setting_up_your_development_environment_for_Moodle_Mobile_2

Is the 3.5 branch far enough along that it's probably fine at this point for me to start adding my customizations?

In reply to Grayson Bartlet

by Dani Palou -

Hi Grayson,

yes, that page is updated for 3.5.

IMO you can start customizing it, most of the code is already in there.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Brian Y -

Are there plans to support Electron and desktop builds?

In reply to Brian Y

by Dani Palou -

Yes, we'll start working on them as soon as we release the app for Android & iOS.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Marie Autefort -

Hello Juan,

Thank you for the update!

I was wondering if you're planning to make over questions modes availables in the app. If I understood well, the "adaptative mode" is not available offline in the app. Unfortunately, all our activities use this mode so I would like to know if it's something that will change in the future.

Thank you very much!

In reply to Marie Autefort

by Dani Palou -

Hi Marie,

we have no plans to support more question behaviours in offline in the app. The adaptive mode requires the student to send the answer to know if it's correct or not, and this action requires the user to be connected to the internet, we cannot validate answers in the app.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Roland Sherwood -
Hi Juan. Sorry to ask, but is there any update on a release date for the new app? As is probably the case for many others, we're planning (hopefully) to make the new app available to our users at the start of the new academic year in September, and hence really need to start planning customisation and testing schedules etc (the window for all this obviously getting smaller each day). Thanks for any insight you can offer and for all your efforts generally.
In reply to Roland Sherwood

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

this week we are integrating the latest issues and we are doing the QA cycle, hopefully we would be rollout a release this Friday, but I can't confirm this because we must be 100% sure that there are not regression and everything work as expected.

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Roland Sherwood -

Many thanks Juan and Séverin. Great to hear that a possible release is so close - and fingers crossed all goes well with the QA cycle. Really can't wait for our users to try the new app!

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Samuel Domingues -

Hi,

Should we expect a smoother build process or it is going to be the same? I am wondering if I should wait until next release to try and build the app again.

Thanks

In reply to Samuel Domingues

by Dani Palou -

Hi Samuel,

we'll build the app using Phonegap Build as we've always did, so I don't think the build process in local environments will change much. Hopefully there'll be more devs out there using Windows that can help you fix your issues smile

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by aykut ozkaya -

Hi Dani

I ve always used Windows and Mac OS to build the App. However in windows suddenly I am running into issues.

Is there a significant advantage to setup the development environment in Linux? If yes is there particular Linux environment you can recommend?

Many Thanks for your time

Ayk

In reply to Dani Palou

by Samuel Domingues -

It seems that even phonegap build is not working right now... If I can get the app to build on phonegap it's good enough for me.

I am also interested in Ayk question, I can setup a linux virtual machine if it is going to make the build process run smoother...

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Subrata Mal -

We are waiting for and very much excited about the new appsmile. Is the app released it's 14th June and I have no news for the release or any documentation?    

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Juan Leyva -

Hi all!

Some great news, we have a Moodle Mobile 3.5.0 beta version (only for Android) that you can download from here:

https://build.phonegap.com/apps/2046098/download/android (we'll update it daily)

(In order to install apk files in your Android device, please follow this instructions: https://www.androidpit.com/install-apps-outside-of-google-play#setup)

Remember that you can also test the latest integrated code via the web version (requires Google Chrome): http://mobileapp.moodledemo.net/

We are aiming to publish Moodle Mobile 3.5.0 the Friday 22th of June

In reply to Juan Leyva

App is Quite good.  "Post to Forum " button is not sticky yet.

youtube videos , mathjax is not loading.

it says "Error while loading the page content"

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Igor Sazonov -

Hi!

I dont understand how to work with multidimensional array in mustache templates, can you help me?

In reply to Juan Leyva

by aykut ozkaya -

Dear Moodle Community

I am wondering if the anyone had experience using MS office 365 integration and Azure platform as a sign on to their Moodle site? If so will the mobile App work with such configuration?

Thanks

Ayk

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Praveen Chamarthi -

Dear Juan,

Thanks for release new Moodle app source code.

is this developed in Angular 4 and IONIC 3?

Thanks,

-Praveen

In reply to Praveen Chamarthi

by Clément Prudhomme -

Hi chamarthi Praveen,

You have some informations on the release page :  https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_Mobile_3.5.0_release_notes :

Ionic 3 + Angular 5 (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=360412#p1465779)

++

by Ted Long -

Hi everyone

I've been playing around with the new Moodle 3.5 App and encountered a few issues/queries I thought I'd raise, if anyone could help please?

1. When first loading the App, I see that users are directed to "Site home".  On our website homepage, we have some custom links etc - so on the App it wants to open the web page if these are clicked on.  Is it possible to change the home page when viewing on the App so it feels more integrated?

2. I've found it a bit confusing when navigating to a course - as currently there are only the options to either "Site home" or "Timeline".  I see there is a ">" at the righthand side of "Timeline", however this isn't immediately obvious.  Can we remove "Timeline" so it only features Site Home and Course or how can users easily navigate to just "Courses?"

3.  Again, there are some navigation issues on actual course pages.  See below - users have to click on the "Welcome to our course" section to be able to view other sections - which makes this quite hard to navigate.  Is there a way around this - perhaps our course set up?

4. Can we remove the "attempts page" when accessing a course, as this isn't allowed via our website so it would be good to have some consistency between our website and the App?

5. There seems to be an unnecessarily large border at the top throughout the site, which limits the viewing size - especially for content such as SCORM.  Can the border size be amended at all so it is smaller (it seems unnecessarily large)?

6. The Choice activity is not immediately obvious that it needs to be "clicked on" to make a choice before "save my choice" can be selected, as it just looks like a statement on the page.  Are there any settings to amend this?

7. Is there no longer an option of a "menu" through which users can access other things, such as a "Level Up" block for example?

8. Is it possible to feature a Menu / add custom items to a menu?

I'd be most grateful for any help on this, thank you smile

In reply to Ted Long

by Andreas Schenkel -
Picture of Plugin developers
When trying to Use SSO in the moodle mobile App the App opens a Browser but then there is an error message ... “/local/mobile/launch.php was not found on this server” Is this a bug or do I have to make changes in the moodle configuration in order to be able to use the app?
In reply to Ted Long

by Dani Palou -

Hi,

1. That's something we also want to do in one of our demo sites (we did it for the previous app, but now styles have changed). I recommend you to search a button in the app using the webapp, inspect its classes and add them to your link in the site. The app should receive the links with those classes and display them as buttons.
  2. The app should display Timeline and Courses at start (because Courses is selected), with an arrow to display Site Home, but it seems there's a bug right now. In any case, we were thinking on changing the order to Site Home | Courses | Timeline.
  3. This is the fastest way to navigate right now. Since some users couldn't find that selector, we also added an option to navigate in the top right menu, but that requires more clicks. We need to check how to improve this.
  4. You mean quiz or SCORM attempts? If that's the case, you can use CSS to hide those boxes. Please check remote themes.
  5. The header size is determined by Ionic depending on the platform, is bigger in iOS than in Android, I guess due to the status bar. We'll check it.
  6. This is the default Ionic styles, and are consistent through the app. I'll write this down to check if it can be improved.
  7. Blocks have never been displayed in the app (yet). The "Level Up" block was displayed in the side menu because its developer configured it like that. I know he's been adapting the plugin to the new app, so maybe now it's displayed somewhere else. If it was in the side menu, now it should be in the "More" options (the three dots) of the bottom bar. You should update the plugin to the latest version. Please notice that in order to make this work you need Moodle 3.5 or have the additional features plugin installed.
  8. Site administration > Mobile app > Mobile features. In there you should see an option called "Custom menu items" that will add the items to the "More" tab (the bottom tabs cannot be modified).

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Ted Long -

Hi Dani

Many thanks for taking your time out to respond.  Just a few follow up comments / feed back smile

1 - I guess this might be something a Moodle Partner could help us fix when we choose to work with them?  

2 - Ah, yes that would be much better.  Would make a lot more sense smile any idea when this might be fixed?

3 - Ah, I hadn't seen that option in the top right.  Would it be possible to add the sections so that they appear on the course page when you first navigate to it?  On user testing, a lot of our users kept trying to press on the image and title of the course so got a bit lost.

4 - Great, thank you.  I'll take a look at some CSS to hide that.

5 - Yes, if you could it would be great.  It just seems overly thick and takes up a lot of space.

6 - Again, thanks - it just might need a circle or a check box to make it clear, as there is nothing about it currently that says "click me"

7-  Understood, thank you smile

8 - Again, thank you that is really appreciated

In reply to Ted Long

by Dani Palou -

Hi Ted,

1. Yes, we have direct contact with Moodle partners so we can help them with this kind of things if they don't know how to do that.

2.The order change has been applied in v3.5.1. It was released in Android last friday, and it's pending for review in iOS (should be released soon).

3. One of the things we want to do is to display the list of sections in wide devices (tablet & desktop app), but we still need to find a good solution for phones since they don't have much screen space.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Ted Long -

Hi Dani

Thanks again so much for your responses.  So great to have some feedback on this and dialogue, as I must admit - everyone has done a fantastic job on the latest release smile

Re the sections on the mobile course page, might I suggest a few options?

• All sections to automatically appear on the course summary page underneath.  Whilst this might result in long list courses with many sections, with would at least make it very clear where users can find the resources (as we've received a lot of feedback and complaints about difficulty to find it via the three dots in the top right)
  • A "Click here to access course resources" button underneath the course summary page?
  • Or, maybe when a user clicks on, for example, the course summary image, this could take them to the contents

Either I think would help make the user journey that bit easier.  Just my thoughts smile

In reply to Ted Long

by Ted Long -

Hi all 

We've been doing some further user testing to see how we might be able to best utilise Moodle Mobile within our organisation and we've had some really useful feedback:

1. A lot of confusion around how to access the sections of the courses and, therefore, learning materials (as discussed in my previous post)
  2. As we utilise SCORM packages which feature videos, users are able to "zoom in" on the videos and make these full screen by pinching the screen with their fingers. The problem this has, is that it lets users then skip to the end of the video - which is a feature they ordinarily aren't able to do on a SCORM via Moodle LMS.
  3. Queries around just what elements we can "hide" if we are to get our own version of the app made?  For example, if we didn't need reference to the Timeline, or removing option to view Participants within courses.

Hope the feedback is useful but would be great if anyone knew of a resolution to the above, particularly around a better way to improve user journey for accessing course materials and also re the SCORM video issue?

Thanks

Eddie

In reply to Ted Long

by Dani Palou -

Hi Eddie,

if you build your own version of the app you can hide anything you want. Please notice that you can hide some things in the official Mobile app too, by using:

Site administration > Mobile app > Mobile features > Disabled features

I suggest you to open new topics about things like this or the SCORM video since they aren't strictly related to the new version.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Ted Long -

Hi Dani

Many thanks for coming back to me.  I've started a new topic as suggested.

We're really close to wanting to go ahead with a branded version of the App, the only real main stumbling block we're having is the user journey for accessing the course materials.   I don't suppose there has been any further consideration/development of the "sections" yet?  

Thanks

In reply to Ted Long

by Dani Palou -

Hi Ted,

it is currently being studied by our UX team. However, since some of us are (or will be) in holidays it can take a while to get a result.

Regarding new topics, we haven't been much active in the forums lately due to the 3.5 release, but we'll get back to it as soon as the desktop apps are released.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Ted Long -

Hi Dani

Glad to know it's in hand and very much looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  Is there anyway I can easily find out when it has been updated, as I'm keen to get the branded app ordered ASAP smile

Kind regards

Eddie

In reply to Juan Leyva

by aykut ozkaya -

Hi All

We have beeen testing the new Moodle Mobile App. It works really good and improved in quiz and offline features. However we had problems with our video content. It does not show on course page or play correctly. If the videos are embebed from an external host such as youtube its fine but other types such as the ones user records on Atto editor not playing. Also we used a Panopto integration and the videos there also problematic there but this could be due to a network security issue I am investigating.

Anyone else having video problems with the App. (Our main testing environment is Ipad)

Thanks

Ayk

In reply to aykut ozkaya

hi Juan

i want to redirect moodle app to my site directly. where should i put my Moodle url ? how can hide this "enter moodle url" page? 

in  Case of moodle mobile 3.3 it was easy to customize as documents are available. but in case of 3.5 version no docs are available for customization. are you planning to make it available.

thanks in advance

In reply to Dnyaneshwar Somwanshi

by Sergio Comerón -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Dnyaneshwar, 

you can put your url in this file: src/config.json

In reply to Sergio Comerón

hi Sergio Comerón Sánchez-Paniagua

there is no Folder as "src" in moodle 3.5 .

can you please check it if i am wrong. 

thanks in advance.

by Sergio Comerón -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Again,

moodle 2 does not have src folder but Moodle 3 have the folder.

make sure you are in the correct branch

In reply to aykut ozkaya

by Elton LaClare -

Hello Aykut,

I believe that what you are describing is related to the issue being discussed here...

by aykut ozkaya -

Thanks Elton

It is exactly that. Lets hope Ios has this update soon

Best

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Jan Waginski -

Is audio recording supposed to work on the mobile app in the forums? I don't see any option to record audio as a forum response.

As well, if I want to record using my Android device, how do I increase the file size limit for app uploads?

In reply to Jan Waginski

by aykut ozkaya -

Hi Jan

In order to increase file upload size first of all you need to check your server is not limiting the size. After that you can control the file size from course editing and files and uploads and set it to desired limited. And finally you are required to make some change to your RecordRTC in Atto editor.Its set to 250K per/sec sampling rate and the time set to 120 sec. This needs to be adjusted. Good luck

Best

Ayk

In reply to aykut ozkaya

by Jan Waginski -

1. I hadn't realized that the upload limit is simply determined by the forum settings in Moodle. I changed it and was able to use the attachment button in the app to record audio on my Android. Worked fine!
  2. Where do I make changes to "RecordRTC in Atto editor"?
In reply to Jan Waginski

by aykut ozkaya -

The setting for this is under plugins-----> Text editors ---->Atto settings -->RecorderRTC 

select settings and configure it according to your setup.

Best

In reply to Juan Leyva

by ODUCATE E -
Where to get the app 3.5?
In reply to ODUCATE E

by behnaz ranjbar -
In reply to behnaz ranjbar

by ODUCATE E -

I mean the source code.

In reply to behnaz ranjbar

by ODUCATE E -

Hi, 

I can't find "config.json" file in moodlemobile3.5. Basically, I am creating my custom moodlemobile app and now in moodlemobile3.5 app where should I configure my custom moodle webiste URL.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by aykut ozkaya -

Hi Juan and Dani

First of all I like to thank you for your hard work. I customised the moodle mobile successfully and released it to the App Store on test flight last week.

This week I noticed problems with the ionic Cordova environment. I am unable to build the app following the same steps as I did a week ago. 

Could you advise please. 

Thanks 

Ayk

In reply to aykut ozkaya

by philippe dutour -

Hi,

I've been using the Moodle mobile app for 2 years now, and I've just updated the browser version of my website to Moodle 3.5, and the mobile app one to Moodle 3.5.1. I'm now seeing some issues (when using the mobile app):

- the set of classes in which each user has registered doesn't naturally appear, there is instead a whole lot of links to go through to get there ("homepage", "my classes", ...), and the setting involves the use of large colored shapes which take a lot of room without (to my knowledge) any point to it (see picture 1);

- when playing a "SCORM package" animation so as to optimize the display, the images have been created so that, in landscape mode, the widest area of the screen is occupied by the document. There is an orange bar at the top with the title, and a grey one at the bottom with the menu icons, which take a lot of room, as weel as two other bars that pop up as soon as there is an interaction with the document. These bars severely restrict the "useful space". I seem to remember that, in previous versions, these bars would disappear from the screen during the activity (see picture 2);

- during an activity such as described before, I get an error when clicking on the grey bar, which causes me to exit said activity (see picture 3).

For the first two points, I haven't been able to find any way to change the visual settings.

On the moodle app settings, the choice between ‘log out’ and ‘change site’ is, in my opinion, not well suited, since the aim is not the same : the first one allows to change user without changing website (for instance when using the same tablet for a whole class), while the other allows to change website. Is there a way to have both options available ?

I'm fully aware that the work you do is considerable, and would be grateful if I could get some information on those points, which would allow me to make my website more app-friendly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Philippe

In reply to philippe dutour

Can some one lead me to github repo for moodle classic app?

I want to know  any developement is going on in moodle classic app.?

I found out repo.  thanks. 

is any work is going on Moodle classic app?

In reply to Juan Leyva

by ODUCATE E -

Hi,

I am customizing the moodlemobile app 3.5. 

I want to know that what should I do that my app directly connects to my moodle site, so users don't have to type the URL of my site.