Moodle for mobile

A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

Picture of Juan Leyva
A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi everyone,

The Moodle Mobile and UX team at Moodle HQ are pleased to announce that a new version of the Moodle Mobile app will be released at the same time as Moodle 3.5 (around May 2018).

What will the new Moodle Mobile app look like?

The new Moodle Mobile app version will come with several UX (user experience), performance and design improvements.

The new changes we are going to implement will give the app a modern look & feel, making it easier to use by learners and teachers. In our objective effort to offer a seamless experience between devices, the new app design will be more consistent with Moodle 3.5.

To make the new app awesome (in terms of look, feel and usability) we needed new frameworks and tools. This also means that we also require the use of modern mobile devices.

Hence the new Moodle Mobile app version will only work on Android 4.4 or iOS 8 onwards devices.

If you have an older device you will still be able to install and use older versions of Moodle Mobile app.

How would this change impact site administrators and developers?

Administrators will need to upgrade to Moodle 3.1 onwards if they want the new app to work on their sites (older Moodle sites will still be supported via a legacy app).

Developers will need to update their remote add-ons to Ionic 3. We are working on an easier way to support Moodle plugins in the app so developers would be able to choose whether they want to update the remote add-on or support the plugin via the new “easy way”.

FAQ:

Is it going to be a totally new app in the stores?

No, it will be just an update of the existing app.

I’m using the app in a very old device (Android 4.3 or iOS 7) what will happen?

Your Moodle Mobile app won’t be upgraded to the new version but you will be still able to use your current Moodle Mobile app.

My site is running a Moodle version lower than 3.1, what will happen?

The new app version won’t work for your site. App users will be notified about this when logging-in.  They will see a notice with a link to download the legacy app for old sites.

I developed a remote add-on for the app, what should I do?

We’ll still support remote add-ons if they are upgraded to use Ionic 3 but at the same time, we’ll be providing an easier way to support Moodle plugins in the app.

This new way won’t be compatible with all the existing remote add-ons although, for example, if you want to develop a question type you would still need to create a remote add-on.

What will happen with existing remote add-ons in the new app?

If they are not upgraded, they won’t work.

Regards, Juan

Average of ratings: Useful (9)
Picture of Marcus Green
Re: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Do you have any wireframes/screen shots to tease us with Juan?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi,

we'll share screenshots and we'll ask for feedback but not in the short-term

Juan

Picture of sam marshall

Hi Juan, sounds good and thanks for alerting me about it, as we were about to embark on some development for remote app add-ons.  Sounds like quite a major change...

A few questions here:

1. If the legacy app is still supported (for old phones from before 2014 when Android 4.4 became common) then shouldn't remote add-ons actually be provided potentially in both formats? I.e. there should be something in mobile.php allowing you to specify if an add-on is 'new' or 'old' format, potentially allowing different files for both? Obviously we don't really want to do this but it sounds like something you might at least want to allow in theory?

2. Is there going to be a way for the site to prevent users to connect with the legacy app, i.e. a Moodle admin sertting to set a required app version? We are likely to be completely dependent on custom add-ins (so that it wouldn't do anything useful without them) - the default app can't cope with displaying our custom course formats, for instance. It would be confusing for users on older Android devices if they can download the legacy app, connect to our site, and then have a basically broken experience with nothing available, or only a few things.

3. Any idea when the new app is likely to be available from the point of view of a remote add-on developer? I see the release is May 2018 but when can we reasonably start developing for it given there might be a few bugs - are we expecting code freeze in April like normal Moodle?

By the way I've just made a helpful page on our internal wiki that explains the full process of how to set up the app to develope a remote add-in; I guess this will be relevant only for the 'more complicated' version in future! I was wondering about making it publicly available but it sounds like it might be out of date pretty soon.

Thanks!

--sam

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Sam,

thanks for your good questions:

1) Yes, we plan to allow the two formats. We still have to make a few decisions but you will be able to have two zip files, one for the legacy/old app and one for the new one. 

2) The plan is to notify the user that he is using an old app and he may have a bad experience when he tries to connect to a >= 3.1 site. But sounds good to have a way to prevent it so maybe we'll plan something.

3) We don't have a date yet but our plan is to support remote add-ons as soon as possible to developers can update them. End of February beginning of March sounds good (2 months). We are also working in a new way to make easier to support plugins in the app (if you don't mind I'll ask for your feedback)

I think it would be good to share that wiki page, I'm going to add a notice in all the existing ones explaining that this will get outdated soon  pointing to this post.

Juan

Picture of sam marshall

Thanks Juan for those helpful answers. We're very happy to give feedback when you want (by the way, Tim Hunt is also involved in this from our end so if I happen to be away or something, you can ask him too).

Since our internal wiki is private, I reformatted the tutorial I wrote and made a copy in the Moodle dev wiki here. I also linked it from the page about remote add-ons. Not really sure this is useful, do feel free to delete it if necessary. The basic idea of that tutorial is that some of the documentation sort of starts from 'I want to build the Moodle mobile app' and then moves on from there to 'now how do you do a remote add-on', whereas I wanted to start from 'I know nothing about mobile development let alone Moodle mobile' and go straight to the remote add-on.

We're currently scheduled to spend just a short time investigating the app development. Tim and I talked about it and we're going to continue with the investigation (which is basically going to mean implementing sketchy versions of the current remote add-ons for a couple of our internal plugins) with the current app. That way we can get a head start with development when the new version becomes available and we'll be in a better position to make decisions like whether we can use the new simpler method, and so on!

--sam

Picture of MAurice Kokonya

Hi Juan,

This is very good news, is there a time frame to expect the Beta version?

Regards

Maurice

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Maurice,

we don't have a date yet but during March we should have an alpha or beta working version ready for testing.

Regards, Juan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of MAurice Kokonya

Thanks Juan, really looking forward to it.

Regards

Maurice

DigiDago
Plugin developersTesters

Hi Juan,

Thank you for the (good) news.

I ask me something about Ionic 3 and I try to identify the best time to work on add-on for Moodle Mobile.

I saw in the tracker an issue (MOBILE-2163) about update to Ionic 3. This seems planned with Moodle Mobile version 3.4.
Do you schedule to use Ionic 3 only for the new version of May or with the next version ?

Best regards.

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi,

the new version of the app using Ionic 3 will be released May next year.

If you want to support a plugin in the app you could wait until March, I think that in that time we'll have a stable base core and some documentation for creating or migrating existing plugins.

Regards, Juan

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
DigiDago
Plugin developersTesters

Hi Juan,

Thank your for your feedback.

Best Regards.

Clément

Picture of Dnyaneshwar Somwanshi

Thanks juan for a great news.

Looking forward for release.

Eagerly waiting for the moment.

Regards

Picture of saif khan

Hi Juan,

Its a pretty good news.I am very happy to see..Juan i have some question about upcoming update.

1) Does new version will show Mentees block in mobile App.I think block is not visible in this version.

2) Does custom css style will change the site and login style(theme color) also ?

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi,

1) Unfortunately not, it is on the roadmap but not implemented yet

2) Yes, styles will change. You may need to create a new stylesheet (will try to make an easy transition)

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hello again,

this is the draft spec of the new simple way of supporting plugins in the mobile app. For now, is called "Server PHP side code", we'll decide how to name it soon (maybe Site add-ons or something similar).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N4eZlYXnPnEyB0Xf7Of7AF7qty-wXcQg9N1ok9txSEg/edit?usp=sharing

Please, feel free to comment.

Note that this is a draft spec of a functionality we plan to implement in following months that won't be fully documented until March 2018 and that will be supported only in the new version of the app released in May 2018.

Developers will be able to start working on supporting their plugins in March 2018 (when everything is documented and supported in the alpha/development version of the app).

Picture of Dnyaneshwar Somwanshi

This is prototype of moodlemobile 3.5 , i hope. moodlemobile3.5 check if anyone is looking for.

我的蚂蚁
回复: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

请教:moodle移动应用怎么添加中文化词条啊?3.32版的简体中文化还很不够啊。在自己的moodle平台上定制语言字符串好像也没效果啊?

How to add a Chinese cultural entry for moodle mobile application?3.32 the simplified Chinese culture is not enough.Custom language strings on your moodle platform doesn't seem to work, too?

A Coloradian who was sucked into facebook against his wishes

I don't suppose the new mobile app will work with H5P?

Picture of Dave Perry
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

That will be down to H5P to write the remote plugin support for the app. Unless someone pays moodle HQ's team to do it I imagine.

Best off asking H5P if they have it on their own development roadmap.

Picture of Amertas Gnakser
回复: Re: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

How do I care about the compatibility of software . i have Android and iPhone  (Android 6.2.0 , iPhone 7)

When i switch this app between Android and iPhone , is there any issues to happend ?

Picture of Juan Leyva
Re: 回复: Re: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

Hi,

in iPhone 7 you still will be able to use the old version of the app but you will not enjoy the new design and functionality coming in the new version.

But you won't experience any error or problem

Juan

Picture of Elton LaClare

Juan,

I'm very excited about the new mobile app coming in May...

I have one question concerning players (specifically audio players) within the mobile app. At the moment, the mobile app is using the default player styling for either Apple or Android. Are there any plans for creating an audio player skin specifically for the Moodle Mobile App? 

The reason I ask is that I just finished collecting student feedback for a research project I'm doing related to the mobile app. Students responded to questions about how and when they used the app as well as any difficulties they encountered. The most common comment related to usability was: 

"I don't know how to get back to the main (course) page after I finish a quiz" (translated from Japanese)

The other most common comments were:

"I cannot easily scroll on pages with audio players." (translated from Japanese)

and

"Audio player has a strange icon that is confusing." (translated from Japanese)

Concerning this last comment, it comes from students using the iPhone and refers to the icon shown in the attached images as well as the message users receive if they touch it.

Is it possible that the redesigned app will include an audio player skin that is better suited for small screens and scrolling?

Thank you for all your efforts thus far in improving the Moodle Mobile app. 

Picture of Dani Palou
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Elton,

right now we don't have plans to create or use any library or skin for audio players.

The problem with scrolling happens with videos too, and it's something we forced in order to make audio/video controls work fine in Ionic. Hopefully this will be fixed with Ionic 3, but I haven't reached that point yet.

The weird icon will still be shown though, I also find it confusing. Maybe it's displayed because the audio file is in the device? Do you know if it is displayed in Safari browser too?

Kind regards,

Dani

Picture of Amertas Gnakser
回复: Re: 回复: Re: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

But why my mobile phone appear some problems, I installed it, but the phone has been in the page load state, I was afraid, I have to restart the mobile phone, but after that, the software icon is still on the phone screen, but found that there are some data and other application is missing, do you have other Mobilevapp can restore or solve them  ?

Picture of Shehab Shehab
回复: Re: 回复: Re: A new Moodle Mobile app is on its way!

If your phone data is missing without backup, you still have the chance to get them back with a recovery application. Just do it as soon as possible to avoide overwritting them by new data.

moodleidd

Hi, Juan

can u advise minimum device requirement for next moodle mobile.

because for june, 2018 i must prepare device for student in my school program using moodle mobile for learning and test.

kind regards

alif 

Picture of Dani Palou

Hi,

the minimum requirements will be Android 4.4 and iOS 8. However, devices with Android 4.4 can give some problems with new certificate protocols, so if you can get Android 5 or higher it will be better smile

Kind regards,

Dani

Picture of Steve Massicotte

Hi,

will you migrate all of the code to Angular 5 or will you stick to 1.6 ?

Thanks

Steve

Picture of Dani Palou

Hi Steve,

we're migrating all the code to Angular 5. If you're interested in the code, here's the Task for the migration:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-2163

Kind regards,

Dani

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Is there going to be a Chromebook version?  This seems pretty vital in today's K12 world...

Picture of Juan Leyva
Tracker issue

Hi,

in this issue: MOBILE-2163 you will find the initial list of tasks related to the Migration to Ionic 3

Is still early to play with the new version so I'd suggest you to wait for the first week of March when we will have most of the existing Delegates implemented, an example of each type of add-on/handler and a more solid API.

Regards, Juan

Picture of Dan Jeffries

Hi Juan! 

Excited about the new updates and hopefully we can see some of these at the Moot in March. 

Can you confirm if Bootstrap will be supported in 3.5? We use both the Bootstrap Elements plugin and Bootstrap alerts in Labels and we need to decide whether to replace them with something else or wait for the new version if it supports this. 

Thanks! 

Picture of Dan Jeffries

Hi Juan

Sorry to ask again. Any chance you could give some indication on this? It makes a big difference in terms of whether we hold on for 3.5 and reconsider our launch or amend our courses and launch now.

Thanks smile

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Dan,

sorry, I totally missed this post.

We are thinking about supporting bootstrap yes, could you list here the styles (or links to bootstrap doc) that you use? or those widely used you are aware of?

I can't promise it will be ready for 3.5 though, we are really really busy and we need to check how the Moodle 3.5 boostrap 4 update will affect those styles 

Picture of Jeff Campbell
Plugin developers

Hi Juan,

I'm looking forward to the MM update!  We're looking to create an add-on, and I'm wondering if 3.5 will enable the camera on the phone and include a QR code reader.  Our add-on and plugins like Treasure Hunt would really benefit from this feature.  If it wasn't in your original plans, can you please add this ability?  It would make a HUGE difference for us.

Thanks,

Jeff

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Jeff,

- Enable the camera on the phone. It is already enabled because we allow the app to take photos and record videos

- QR code reader. Not in our plans, although I imagine there will be JS libraries doing that (once you've captured a photo though)

There is no native support for a QR code reader in Cordova and, as good practice, we try to not include 3rd party plugins (because sometimes are discontinued).

Picture of Jeff Campbell
Plugin developers

Hi Juan, thanks for your reply.  Good to know about the camera, and hopefully we can find a solution for our QR code reader.  I look forward to seeing the new appsmile

Guido
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

yes, the QR-Code reader would be a helpful extension. It can help to select the right learning module in the field very quickly.