Moodle mobile app crashes with mp3

Moodle mobile app crashes with mp3

by Patrick Bourne -
Number of replies: 15
Hi all,

Have scoured everywhere I can think of to find something that might help here, but I have quizzes that have mp3s that consistently crash the mobile app. I have an iPhone 8 and V 3.4.2 of the app.

If I remove the mp3, everything works. I have tried:

- uploading the mp3 to the site and embedding
- linking to the file in an external folder
- raising the max file size to 64MB
- using a very small mp3 for testing (433kb)
- setting up a Moodle cloud account with just that one quiz (https://ieltstestonline.moodlecloud.com)
- reviewing the .crash logs from my iPhone
- using https://prototype.moodle.net on Chrome on my laptop (which works fine)

Other points:
- I have 27 GB free on my phone
- lessons without audio and video seem to work just fine
- I can play files on my phone from school.demo.moodle.net

I am also getting similar issues with some of the videos embedded in lessons. The 'fun' addition is that it does not crash at it exactly the same point each time - some times I get to the see the quiz, sometimes it crashes immediately on clicking the 'Start test' button, sometimes I can even get the audio to start spinning. On particularly heartless attempts, it will even begin to play the audio.

Don't know if anyone has any other ideas? If anyone has any spare time and inclination, you can login to https://ieltstestonline.moodlecloud.com with the username and password tester

Thanks all smile

Patrick
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patrick Bourne

Re: Moodle mobile app crashes with mp3

by Elton LaClare -

Patrick,

I believe that what you are describing is the same thing I referred to in this post. I hadn't made the connection between this behavior and mp3 or video files, but it does make sense. What you describe seems to involve the lesson module, but I've observed the same thing in quizzes. In my case, I first noticed this behavior after an ios update. I keep hoping that subsequent updates will fix the problem, but so far no luck...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Elton LaClare

by Patrick Bourne -

Hi Elton - thanks for the response smile Yes, I was hoping that this would be fixed with an iOS update, but I guess for now I will have to hold off.

Thanks again!

Patrick

by Elton LaClare -

Patrick,

The new version of the app should be out soon. When it is, let's test mp3 and video files in the Lesson and Quiz modules to see if the problem remains. If it does, I'll start a tracker issue... 

by Elton LaClare -

The issue described here also occurs in version 3.5 of the Moodle Mobile app. I have created a tacker issue [MOBILE - 2442] detailing the problem here

by Patrick Bourne -

Yes, same problem here - will follow the tracker bug you started! Thanks Elton smile

by Rob Hirschel -

Hi Patrick & Elton,

Thank you for noting this problem. I have also experienced the app crashing when playing mp3 files or videos in the quiz module, both before and after the recent Moodle Mobile update (3.5). The problem appears to be limited to iPhones fortunately, but it has affected multiple iPhone users with different phone models and obviously varying amounts of free space, perhaps different iOS versions, etc. I've already voted for the tracker issue and will follow it.

Thanks! 

In reply to Rob Hirschel

by Madhav Deshpande -

I would like to add that the issue is not restricted to ios. Android has the same problem.

About 100 users with me are facing this problem on Android 5 to the latest 7.

Thanks Elton and everyone else for noting the problem and opening a defect.

by Elton LaClare -

Just to provide an update on this issue...

It seems that Juan has created an issue related to mp3 files not playing in the Quiz module (MOBILE- 2476). I think this probably overlaps with what we've observed. You can vote for the issue here... 

by Madhav Deshpande -

Hi Elton,

Could you bump the issue from minor defect to major defect AND ALSO add the issue for Android?

Thanks!

by Ardian Deari -

I think we should all vote here for the issue https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-2442

In reply to Ardian Deari

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi everyone,

some update about this. First of all, it's quite hard to debug this error, I struggled with it for a while for v3.5.1 and I finally created a commit that could fix the crash. However, it caused some regressions and it was finally removed from the release.

With the commit mentioned above I didn't see an error while debugging with XCode, but we found another issue: audio files don't work after being downloaded. They work the first time, when the online file is served, but for some reason the file download goes wrong and the offline file is broken, so the next time the user accesses the question he can no longer play the audio. Those same audios work fine while reviewing the attempt. That's why we raised MOBILE-2476.

We'll try to fix both issues for the next release.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Ardian Deari -

Hey Dani,

Thanks a lot for the information!

I hope it will be fixed soon!

In reply to Ardian Deari

by Elton LaClare -
Yes, thank you Dani. For anyone in need of an emergency work-around, I’ve