No 3.3 compatible themes working since upgrading

No 3.3 compatible themes working since upgrading

by Lee Daymond -
Number of replies: 8

Hello there really struggling with this one. I have recently upgraded to 3.3 from 3.1 and have trouble every time I select a 3.3 compatible theme. Running php 5.6 on third party server called SGIS. Essentially no design or CSS features are working it appears.

I have followed a few threads where people have issues with the new 'Boost' theme and determined that I needed to create php.ini file and adjust the execution speed (now 120) but this didn't solve the problem. I have also added the opcache recomendations into the .htaccess file from: https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/OPcache

After no luck with Boost I decided to try and install a different theme 'Moove' 3.3 and have found the same problems and appears none of the design is pulling through and lift with a list of of links and page content. However, clean theme is running fine still?

Can anyone help with this please? Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lee Daymond

Re: No 3.3 compatible themes working since upgrading

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Take it that you've cleared theme cache?

https://yoursite/theme/index.php

There is a button for Theme Caches at the top.  Have read recently that Boost is supposed to do theme clearing of the cache by itself.

While there, is boost the default theme?

Site might appear to be a little slower while it builds up the cache again.

If that doesn't work, get nasty ... using something that can browse files/folders on your system, naviate to  moodledata/localcache/ and remove all folders there.   It is safe to do it manually as the site should start to repopulate that directory as one navigates your moodle site.

Also, check the owerships/permissions on moodledata ... if not writable by the user under which your web service runs, Moodle cannot update info there.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Lee Daymond -

Thanks for this Ken, this hasn't worked unfortunately. Have done the manual cache clear and the permission checks in Moodle data. I'm having the same result with both the Boost and the newly installed 'Moove' theme. The standard 'Clean' theme works just fine?

In reply to Lee Daymond

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Lee,

Are you using any additional plug ins? Back when Boost was first included, I had the same problem. Clean and Clean based type themes worked, Boost and any Boost based theme was broken...text only with no styling. Turned out to be ONE misspelled word in the styles.css file of a plug in. Turned out to be a plugin I maintain so I was able to fix it right away, then the Boost theme and derivatives started working.

I found the guilty plugin, by uninstalling one additional plugin at a time on my development site. When Boost started working, I removed the same plugin from my production site, which also then started working. Went through the plugin css with  a "fine toothed comb" found the misspelled word, reinstalled the plugin and Boost continued to work correctly!

HTH

In reply to AL Rachels

by Lee Daymond -

Thanks for this, However I've just checked and had just 1 which I have uninstalled now and still finding the same problem? mixed

In reply to Lee Daymond

by Lee Daymond -

This is what my environment check is showing:

This is what my php.ini file looks like:

Any advice? Thanks

In reply to Lee Daymond

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

One other thought ...

how one upgraded from 3.1 to 3.3 ..

in a stock 3.1 theme directory there are canvas, clean, and more themes and there is a bootsraptbase as well a base.

in 3.3 stock ... theme has boost, bootstrapbase, clean and more.

You did replace entire code directories ... a copy of config.php from the 3.1 site into 3.3 code to upgrade, yes?

And ... check your settings for YUI combo loading.   That is something that gave me fits one time on an upgraded site.

As I understand it, Moodle is gradually moving away from using the Yahoo libraries.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Lee Daymond -

Thank you for this Ken, I think I've cracked it!

I had to follow another long feed and had to carry out this change in the boost config.php file. After doing this the other themes seem to work OK to:

I've learned a lot this weekend, a lot of these threads were a totally different language to me on Friday night.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)