Connect Moodle to Personal Website - Login Portal?

Connect Moodle to Personal Website - Login Portal?

i le Jess B -
Number of replies: 14

I have a question regarding installing Moodle. I have a website - www.jblanchart.com.au - If I want to install Moodle on my server, how do I link it to my website with a login portal? Where can I get a login portal? I have installed Moodle previously, but I am not sure how to link the 2 together. Do I need to pay for a new domain name and host for Moodle? or can it be included in the current account. I am really confused about this, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jess B

Re: Connect Moodle to Personal Website - Login Portal?

i le Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Do you mean that you want users to login through your existing website and be logged into Moodle as well?  That would depend on what platform you are running your website on.  I know Joomla and Wordpress have connection plugins and I believe Drupal does as well.

If you are just looking for users to log into Moodle, Moodle already has its own authentication system.

In reply to Emma Richardson

i le Jess B -

Thank you for your response, I am wondering how I can connect Moodle's authentication system to my website, yes I am running Wordpress, but if its not Wordpress would I always need a plugin that connects to the authentication system?

In reply to Jess B

i le Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you want single signon - yes, obviously there has to be something connecting them.  If you don't care about single sign on, then no.

In reply to Jess B

i le Matt T -

There's a few ways you could achieve this. One is a plugin in either Moodle or Wordpress to piggy back off the other's authentication system. The other, and usually implemented at the enterprise level, is having a shared user directory that both authenticate against using LDAP or SAML.

Your situation appears to be the former. In which case, there seems to be a Wordpress plugin claiming to achieve this. The support you will receive here for its use is limited, though, and I've never used it.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/edwiser-bridge/

In reply to Jess B

i le Dave Emsley -

With most hosting companies you can create subdomains for free.  So where your website is  www.jblanchart.com.au  you might have moodle.jblanchart.com.au for example.

Usually they allow more than one database however you can use the same one as for your WP site but just make sure the tables prefix is different.

HTH

Dave

In reply to Dave Emsley

i le Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

In my own case, I don't have students logging into any other applications on my website.  Therefore, I have my main website at www.mainwebsite.com, and moodle one level down a t www.mainwebsite.com/moodle.

In reply to Rick Jerz

回复: Re: Connect Moodle to Personal Website - Login Portal?

i le Gary Chan -

Hi Rick

May I ask how you implement this single signon? We have the same setting here as yours, Moodle in one level down

My post for more details : https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=361390

Thanks & Best Regards,

Gary

In reply to Gary Chan

Re: 回复: Re: Connect Moodle to Personal Website - Login Portal?

i le Rick Jerz -

Nothing on the main website is protected.  It's an open website.  One can have documents on the Internet with no login, and no protection, and no links to these webpages.  But for my Moodle, students must log in.  Anything at www.mydomain.com/moodle is protected by moodle.

In my moodle, I use a URL resource to link to content.  It's as simple as saying "Here are the resources for Week 4."  This Week4 resources page is not in my moodle folder, it is outside of Moodle.

I manage my webpages with Dreamweaver.

In reply to Rick Jerz

回复: Re: 回复: Re: Connect Moodle to Personal Website - Login Portal?

i le Gary Chan -

Hi Rick

So it is the other way round, students log in Moodle, then link to "external" pages on the open website. Hummm.. not really what we want to do, but thanks anyway.

Regards,

Gary 

In reply to Gary Chan

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Connect Moodle to Personal Website - Login Portal?

i le Rick Jerz -

Yep, just a different way of doing things.

Moodle becomes my main login.  Students never really know that they are accessing webpages from my website.  In fact, many students do even know, or don't even care.

Well, good luck.  Something for you to think about.

In reply to Jess B

回复: Connect Moodle to Personal Website - Login Portal?

i le Gary Chan -

Hi Jess

Sounds like we are trying to do the same thing here, using the main site as login portal, once user logged in main site, he/she also logged in Moodle, so jumpingo from main site to Moodle does not require another login

Have you solved this problem? If yes, would you please share more info? thks

Regards,

Gary

In reply to Gary Chan

Re: 回复: Connect Moodle to Personal Website - Login Portal?

i le Emma Richardson -

If you have Wordpress, use the Edwiser Bridge plugin.  If you have Joomla, use Joomdle.

In reply to Emma Richardson

回复: Re: 回复: Connect Moodle to Personal Website - Login Portal?

i le Gary Chan -
Hi Emma

Thanks and no, we do not have both, for some reasons, we have our own CMS, but its nice to know the name of these plugin just in case if they become handy in future

Regards,

Gary

In reply to Jess B

i le Rahul Kumar -

Hi Jess,

Since you want  to link your Moodle and Wordpress websites, then you must take a look at our plugins Edwiser Bridge and Single Sign On, you will be able to link you moodle courses with Wordpress using Edwiser Bridge and for a common login credential you can use Single Sign On.

You will have to pay for a new website domian however, Using single sign on a user can login to both websites simultaneously using the same login credentials.

If that is something you are looking for then explore more about Edwiser Bridge here: https://edwiser.org/bridge/