Single login problem for Moodle 3.3.2 (aka login automatically from external site)

Single login problem for Moodle 3.3.2 (aka login automatically from external site)

by Gary Chan -
Number of replies: 0

Hi all

I am a newbie to both Moodle and PHP, sorry but please excuse if I ask stupid questions.

In short, a more complete and official approach to the problem : log in Site A first, will automatically log in Moodle site (a sub folder) too

We have 2 sites, for example

1) Site A - http://mysite.com

A custom built PHP site A, not using any CMS like Joomla, host most of our website's functions.

2) Site B - http://mysite.com/moodle/

An instance of Moodle added as sub directory after Site A was launched because we want to make use of some functions from Moodle instead of building them in the first site

Since Site A was built and currently in use, it is not possible to get rid of it and change to other CMS nor completely replaced by Moodle. Therefore we are looking for a way to achieve :

Step 1 : when our member logs in/out Site A, do so for the sub-folder Moodle site too automatically. The order MUST be log in Site A first, so redirecting user to Moodle's login.php using a FORM is not what we are looking for.

Step 2 : more advance feature is to sync user profile, IF Site A & B using its own user DB.

Tried to search here and Google, faced following problem

1. Either the post is too old, referring to Moodle 2 or even 1, but i am using Moodle 3.3.2

2. Partial or too advance solution, really difficult for a newbie like me to figure out the missing part nor asking to write a OAuth etc plugin...

3. External DB. Please correct me if I understand it incorrectly, this approach works if you let user login Moodle by checking the user's username/pwd from external DB, not quite what we need, log in/out Site A, simultaneously log in/out Moodle site.

4. Read something like using CURL to post to Moodle's login.php, then grab cookie from its response header, copy it etc. Tried, not sure what mistake I made, not working. In fact this is closer to what we need.

Many people asked same question and I believe existing solution somewhere out there but I failed to find it... can somebody help?

Sorry for a long post and Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Gary

Average of ratings: -