Can courses be backed up as SCORM compliant zip files?

Can courses be backed up as SCORM compliant zip files?

by Nick Evans -
Number of replies: 1

Hi All,

We are using Moodle 3.2.1+ (Build: 20170112)

Using the method outlined in this previous discussion, I was able to make a backup of some courses we have.

These are downloaded as a *.MBZ file. 

Is it possible to download them as a SCORM compliant zip file instead? Or even to convert them?

I saw an article about a tool someone wrote years ago to convert from SCORM *.zip Moodle 1.9 file to a *.mbz Moodle 2.0 file. Wondering if it's possible to do the reverse. 

Someone posted a question on the forums here a while ago about converting mbz to zip failing, then answered their own question saying they figured it out - but there's no details about how they went about the conversion. - https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=335803

I saw a feature request for moodle back in like 2009 that asked for SCORM exporting and it was marked as 'closed - will not work on' (or something similar). Basically a bunch of years ago, the intention was that once in Moodle, it was supposed to stay there forever, so no SCORM exporting. Is this still the case, or is there some way to get a SCORM *.zip file exported/backed up from a course?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nick Evans

Re: Can courses be backed up as SCORM compliant zip files?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Nick,

I would highly doubt it as an MBZ contains elements, structures and concepts that pertain particularly to Moodle.

Gareth