Drag & Drop Question Issues in Chrome

Drag & Drop Question Issues in Chrome

by Gavin Botten -
Number of replies: 17

Hi All

This question may have been brought up already, but I cannot find anything on it in the forums or in my searches.

We are a primary school in South Africa, the first to implement E-Learning at that level, we love using Moodle and finding new ways to engage the students in using it, however we have come across a problem with the drag & drop questions. These questions do not work in a browser, mostly we use Chrome on Android(BYOD), but Safari and On board browsers are used as well, as the background scrolls when you try to select and move the answer into the correct positions.

To fix the problem I got the students to download and install the Moodle Mobile App, which works wonderfully. Since this was done, I've discovered some other question plugins that we would like use, namely: Ordering and Pattern Match. The problem is this, Ordering and Pattern Match are not supported by the Mobile App, but work just fine in Chrome.

So either I need a fix for us to work solely in Chrome, or I need to be able to set up the App to support the two questions that it does not at the moment. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated, simply pointing me at to the answer would also be extremely helpful. We are currently running Version 3.3.1

I hope this is detailed enough, but if you have any questions regarding anything, please ask, and I will answer as best I can.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gavin Botten

Re: Drag & Drop Question Issues in Chrome

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"as the background scrolls when you try to select and move the answer into the correct positionsa"

On the mobile the dnd question types do not dnd they click to select and click to drop. In my view this is a good generic alternative to drag and drop and I was tempted to make it the default on my own question type.  I am the maintainer of an alternative dnd question type (gapfill) and I am curious to see if it gives the same problem. If convenient would you give it a try out

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=qtype_gapfill

I know the other question maintainers have looked into that background scrolling thing, but I don't know its current status.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Gavin Botten -

Marcus, thank you for your response, while I like your question and will add it to our list of available questions, unfortunately it has not alleviated the problem of the background scroll, I get that we can use drop down and gapfill in place of drag & drop, but what we need is to fix the drag & drop, especially for our Life Sciences/Natural Science & Technology teachers who would like to use it to label images, or use drag & drop image onto image.

On another note, I really like your question, it has great versatility and is very easy to set up., Well done.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gavin Botten

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Gavin

Can you confirm what theme you are using and that the issue persists if you switch back to clean/boost. I can give you access to a site to test that if it is awkward to test that. My question type/s is/are still under very active development so your feedback is  very useful. 

In reply to Marcus Green

by Gavin Botten -
Hey Marcus

We are currently using the "Clean" theme. Would you like me to try one of

the others?

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 at 11:57 Marcus Green (via Moodle.org) <
In reply to Gavin Botten

by Marcus Green -

No, clean is as clean as a clean thing so I do not see it as a theme issue. I considered offering click to select and click to drop in the web version of gapfill but I found it would not work in secure browser mode so both users of that facility would have been inconvenient. I know that the good folks at the OU have worked on background scrolly issue (I think Tim hunt posted about it a while ago).

In reply to Marcus Green

by Gavin Botten -
Thanks for your feedback Marcus. I had a look at that post, I think, it was

last year, this issue is apparently a new problem since the new noodle

version was brought in. To be fair though, we've only just started using

these question types, so, it's all new to us.

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, 15:25 Marcus Green (via Moodle.org) <noreply@moodle.org>
In reply to Marcus Green

by James Steerpike -
Just bumped into this problem myself. The standard drag and drop text quiz did not work at all on my Chrome mobile phone browser. Installed the gapfill plugin and it worked. The syntax is easier as well. Nice work.
IMHO mobile is become increasingly important as students spend more time on phones than computers.
In reply to Marcus Green

by William Franz -

This is the problem I am having.  Students using a mobile device, such as a phone, cannot drag items because it scrolls the screen at the same time.  You can never reach the area you want to drop in, because as you drag up, you also scroll the screen.  This means that my students cannot use their browser on their device to answer Drag-and-Drop questions.  I do not have enough laptops for my class (I have 5) for them to do these problems otherwise.

Gif of dragging causing screen to scroll so you can't reach target

In reply to Gavin Botten

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

These question types have been tested in Chrome on Adroid, and at least at one point they were working fine. Presumably Google has changed something.

However, a lot of people use Adroid phonse, and this is the only report I have seen. Can anyone else reproduce this?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gavin Botten -

I find it very strange that we are the only one's experiencing this problem, unless others are simply using a work around, like completing quizzes on laptops or desktops instead of on android devices or possibly even in the Mobile App, which we have been doing, but we're experiencing problems there as well, as some of the question types don't work on it, specifically Pattern Match & Ordering, and for some reason some of the devices seem to lose connection while using the App, which requires resetting of attempts and so on, and so on. I'm sure you understand that during test cycles that is not something we want to be doing as the students only have a limited amount of time to complete their tests/exams. I don't think I mentioned this, but we are a primary school in South Africa, the first to implement E-Learning(blended not full).

What I can tell you is that I personally have tested these questions on several different devices, namely, Samsung, Lenovo, Voda Tab, Asus, Ipad and a few Chinese makes, with various OS's from 4.0.4 up to 6.0.1 and every one of them has the same issue. Could it be our environment that needs a tweak(Doubtful)? We are currently running Moodle Version 3.3.1 and, of course, the Android OS will determine what version of Chrome is running, so I can't really see that as being the problem either.

I'm sorry for being a pain about this, but I'm struggling to understand why this is happening and NO ONE else has mentioned it, surely we can't be the only users who are experiencing this issue.

In reply to Gavin Botten

by Gavin Botten -

O.K. so Tim was right about Chrome being the problem, I found a tablet that had no problems with the D&D questions, and after checking ALL the settings on Chrome, the only difference I found was the version. I have since reset my tablet back to it's factory version of Chrome(50.0.2661.89), and now the D&D questions are working fine.

Thank you for all your help and for listening to my ravings, although this is just a bandaid on a decapitation, it's at least a start to a solution. Does anyone have an idea of how to go about contacting the Chrome guys to get a fix from them, possibly?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gavin Botten

by M G -

Hi All,

Starting this thread again as I am seeing this same issue. Do we have any solution to this?

In reply to M G

by M G -

Can anyone please help with this issue?

In reply to Gavin Botten

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I am looking for a solution to this as well. Is anyone working on it?

Best regards,

Michael

In reply to Michael Milette

by Greg Maslen -

Yes this is an issue with chrome, I have been using Drag and Drop questions for some time and have recently just been receiving complaints from students that cannot complete the question. The question appears correctly formatted when you preview it but does not appear when viewed in the student browser, see the below screenshots. 

As Displayed in the Students question

Question text

Question Options

As shown (correctly) in preview mode

Cheers

Greg

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Greg Maslen

by Greg Maslen -

Appears this is not just chrome, I have just tested with edge and have the same issue

In reply to Gavin Botten

by William Franz -

You are definitely not the only one with this problem.  My students have a terrible time using their own devices.  Trying to drag an answer just scrolls the screen.  The app does not seem to suffer from this problem, but not all students can download the app to their devices.  I need DND to work on common browsers.