Upgrade

Upgrade

by Simon Harbinson -
Number of replies: 2

Morning

Some time last Year I was asked build a new Moodle server, since them it has sat doing nothing however this week I have had a request to update the Moodle installation.

Server Ubuntu LTS 14.04

Original Moodle Installed was Ver 3.0.2+

whenever I attempt to upgrade, Moodle goes offline and I cannot seem to get it back up.

Is it possible to move the current version in one move or do I have to upgrade through the versions.  also would it be recommended to upgrade the OS as well

Simon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Harbinson

Re: Upgrade

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There's a few things here...

1. I wouldn't upgrade a 'dead' Moodle site without having any idea why it's dead. 

2. You can upgrade to 3.3 in one jump but consider 1. first

3. Read the 3.3 release notes (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_3.3_release_notes). Especially the minimum version of things. Ubuntu 14.04 came with PHP 5.5.9 (iirc) but Moodle requires a minimum of 5.6.5, so you have a problem there to start with.

Personally, I would just upgrade the box to 16.04 - that is, start again. You need to backup (and restore) the 'moodledata' files area and the database. But, I hope, you backed those up anyway before starting.  See Moodle_migration

In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Upgrade

by Simon Harbinson -

HI Howard,

Sorry for the delay, was given a more critical job had to put this on hold, the mistake is the the server is not currently dead It my bad typing, it only dies if I upgrade the OS or Moodle.

The current plan is to duplicate the VM that Moodle sits on so I can do the required work during the day.  

We are currently using MYSQL but I noticed in the build notes for 3.0.1 the DB engine was changed, is MYSQL now back in use or would I need to upgrade the DB after the upgrade.

Thanks Simon