Web server software (Protected by COMODO WAF) is not supported ??

Web server software (Protected by COMODO WAF) is not supported ??

by Becka M -
Number of replies: 4
Web server software (Protected by COMODO WAF mod_bwlimited/1.4) is not supported, sorry.

I'm having this issue with Moodle.  Whether it is one of our current installs, or if I install manually or via an Installer, I get the same message (though, at two different points in the installation process.)  I already checked the forums, and found this thread, but it wasn't of any help.

My Stats:

• Moodle Version: 2.8.10
  • Browser: Chrome v. 59.0.3071.115
  • PHP: 5.6.31
  • Server: Apache 2.4.27
  • MySQL: 10.1.26-MariaDB

Problem:

I've personally been with our host, BaptistHost, for several years, and this "not supported" thing wasn't an issue until recently.  My guess is that they upgraded the servers and something in the upgrade is the problem.

What I need now is to fix this so that Moodle is usable again. (Upgrading or using a newer install doesn't fix the problem.)  The first thing I did when I saw the "not supported" problem was to contact BH, and they helped me out.  However, though the "fix" the guy provided allowed access to Moodle, it also gave way to issues accessing any user edits/interactions stuff (aside from admin) as described in my post about that issue.

As I mentioned in the post in the previous paragraph, I'm working to move our entire site, which includes two Moodle databases, from BlueHost to BaptistHost.  Our student body consists of 200-300 users and is expected to grow; and while we are waiting for this changeover issue to be fixed, they are still able to use the install we have on BlueHost. We know, BlueHost is a popular provider, but I have had issues with them, and along with that there is some other reasons we need to be able to make this change over happen.

So... what can I do about this COMODO WAF thing, or what do I need to talk to BaptistHost about?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Becka M

Re: Web server software (Protected by COMODO WAF) is not supported ??

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

COMODO WAF is nothing to do with Moodle. 'WAF' normally means 'Web Application Firewall' - this will be something your host has put in place and, presumably, doesn't like Moodle. This firewall will need to be fixed/reconfigured. Assuming they are willing to do that.

You'll need to speak to your host, sorry. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Becka M -
No apologies needed. At least I have an idea of what to ask about. Thanks!
In reply to Becka M

by Matt T -

Does this "BaptistHost" use cPanel?

If so, see if there's a ModSecurity section and turn off Comodo rulesets. If you don't see it, ask the web host's support. 

They shouldn't really need to disable it entirely, just to disable the Server Signature so it correctly reports Apache as a webserver. Why Comodo elect to change the server signature by default is beyond me... 

Welcome to the joy of using Moodle on shared hosting, by the way. These sort of idiosyncratic setups quite frequently get in your way.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matt T

by Becka M -

They do use cPanel... and you, sir, are my hero for pointing me in the right direction!

The ModSecurity section on my end has a list of all the subdomains my site uses, and I can switch ModSecurity on/off for each individual (sub)domain.  Oddly enough, the site and all its subdomains had this feature turned "off" except for the new moodle install I was trying, and I haven't ever used this part of cPanel until now, so I haven't turned anything on or off.

I switched it off for that install subdomain and the warning on the moodle install disappeared!

There wasn't an option for me to do anything about the server signature, but I'll contact them and see if they can, and reply again with how it goes -- for future reference of those who may have similar issues and find this post.