Installing without SSH/command line

Installing without SSH/command line

by Michael Coyne -
Number of replies: 7

We're currently running 2.6.7 and were looking to install a more recent version. On reading the instructions at https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Installing_Moodle#Create_the_.28moodledata.29_data_directory, we contacted the ISP webmaster about running the commands - e.g. # find /path/to/moodle -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;

We received the following reply:

"As you know we do not allow SSH access to our Shared Hosting plans; in addition to this we will not running scripts for third party purposes on those systems.

While the article you linked suggests command line access, in reality you can accomplish virtually all required update process via the website itself and/or manually uploading updated files to the sever; you will need to consult the Moodle support forums and documentation to determine how to accomplish your overall upgrade goal."

Would anyone be able to point us in the right direction to a guide that might help us out? The hosting provider meets the technical requirements for Moodle 3.3 and we can't really afford a more comprehensive hosting package.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Coyne

Re: Installing without SSH/command line

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Maybe so.  What hosted server tools might you have?  For example, do you have cPanel?  Do you know what I am talking about?  Do you have FTP access?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Michael Coyne -

Thanks for the reply Rick. It's not branded as cPanel but it looks very much like it. We've FTP access also.

by Rick Jerz -

Okay, I will try to explain the general steps that I would do.

1) In your "cPanel", use your database tools to create a blank database, maybe call this moodle3.  Make sure to set it's collation to utf8mb4.unicode_ci, give yourself full access, and make sure to note the database name and database user name (you will need these later.)

2) In your "cPanel" using the file administration tools, go up one level above your www, htdocs, public_html folder (whatever it is called on your system, and create a folder called something like moodledata3.  Set permissions to 777.  Remember what you called this and its location.

3) Download the latest moodle to your computer.  FTP this to your www, htdocs, public_html folder.  Then using your cPanel file administration tools, unpack this.  It should unpack to a folder called "moodle."

4) Go to this URL location, such as www.yourdomain.com/moodle.  This begins the moodle installation process.  Along the way, the install will want your database information and location of moodledata.  Some of this, if you have never done it before, will be a little trick.

If any of this fails, just delete everything and try it again.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Michael Coyne -

Many thanks Rick. I'll give this another fresh go this weekend.

by Rick Jerz -

I remind you to unzip the moodle file from your server side.  If you unzip it on your local computer, it will take forever to transfer via FTP.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

With the caveat that I have not watched it - 

There is other similar stuff out there. 

This should be looked at in conjunction with the 'official' documentation. The point is, that you need to do exactly the same things but maybe with the cPanel file manager (or whatever it is) rather than the command line. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Michael Coyne -

Always useful to have a video to work alongside, thanks Howard.