Trouble creating a Task Chain

Trouble creating a Task Chain

by Melvin Shantz -
Number of replies: 7

Hi Gordon,

I have upgraded to Moodle 3.3. The previous version of Taskchain was stable for me until 3.2.

Am using Taskchain 2017-06-29 (49) 2017062949 08/09/2017

So it looks like 3.3 is causing issues or something is causing it to hang during creation process. It can't find the file. Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Invalid context id specified context::instance_by_id().

My last working version was 41 which was 3.2 compatible.

"creation/edit" is not working

There might be a line of code or issue related to Instance_by_id.

441793d5fca64e53b444e09acb06684b.png

So that being said the issue is shared between the recent updates to Moodle 3.3 which use instance_by_id and the fact taskchain uses this in creation/edit. There seems to be a difference between 3.2 and 3.3 in this file. «instance_by_id()»

Hope this makes sense to you and thanks. A post will be sent via GitHub too. 

Mel

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melvin Shantz

Re: Trouble creating a Task Chain

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mel,
thanks for letting me know about this issue on Moodle >= 3.3.

It was caused by new method in the forms API of Moodle >= 3.3 which clashed which a method name, "data_postprocessing", " that was already being used by the TaskChain module. I have renamed the TaskChain method to "form_postprocessing" and confirmed that TaskChains can now be added without error on Moodle 3.3 and Moodle 3.0.

Please arrange for the TaskChain module on your site to be updated at the next convenient opportunity.

Best regards,
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Melvin Shantz -

Thanks so much Gordon. 

Not sure if the update has been made online though. Am only finding mod_taskchain 2017-06-29 (49) 2017062949 Please advise.

Looking forward to being back on task here!

Keep up the good work.

Mel

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mel,
latest version, 2017-08-29 (50), is available from moodle.org or github.com

Where are you seeing only 2017-06-29 (49) ? 

Regards,
Gordon

by Melvin Shantz -

Hi Gordon,

Must of missed the update somehow. Have found it as indicated. Thanks for the help.

While I have you on the line, I wonder about another feature. Usually when a student has done mutliple attempts of a TaskChain, those attempts are listed with along its score and, in fact, I believe they were allowed to click on completed attempts and they would see the scores of the individual tasks in the chain.

For example: The TaskChain below has one completed attempt that shows up in the Grade book. However the attempt is not listed nor is the option to do new attempt listed.

It strikes me that I may not understand this section of the settings all that well which seems to be new. 

So I think there has been a shift here but I am not following it well and need to be better aware of what you had in mind. I do get the resume option.

Thanks Gordon.

Mel

by Gordon Bateson -

The "Manual completion"setting setting is relatively new, added within the last 12 months I think. The other settings in your screenshot have always been there. Perhaps, you are only now exploring them wink 

BTW, each of those settings has a help icon, so I encourage you to read the help information. Let me know if anything is not clear.

In order to set previous attempts on the Entry page, you need to enable the Entry page and also enable the list of attempts, as in the attached screensnip.

Best,
Gordon

Attachment TaskChain.EntryPage.Attempts.png

by Melvin Shantz -
Still not working Gordon. Using Moodle 3.3  and Taskchain (49 soon to be 50).

In edit settings, The entry page set to yes and options Title and Attempts selected exactly as it is in your image. However, the setting won't save for me. I click on Save and View and the attempts don't show up. I go back into settings and the setting for Title and Attempts didn't save. I have tried several times.

Mel

by Melvin Shantz -

Gordon,

Just got the update to version 50 done and the settings are also saving the they way they should be as a result. So maybe some sort of related issue. 

Anyways, my previous post can be ignored.

Have a good day,

Mel