Set Number of Courses In Progress Tab - Dashboard Moodle 3.3.1

Set Number of Courses In Progress Tab - Dashboard Moodle 3.3.1

by Shelly Vaughan -
Number of replies: 7

In the dashboard for Moodle 3.3.1, the Courses option provides Past, Future and In Progress Courses. In the documentation https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Course_overview it references a site setting that will allow you to change the number of courses it displays by default before paginating them.  Does anyone know where this setting can be found, we currently have 6 courses showing but need to increase this number.

Thanks all,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shelly Vaughan

Re: Set Number of Courses In Progress Tab - Dashboard Moodle 3.3.1

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I've read 'Course_overview' and cannot see where it says words to that effect?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Shelly Vaughan -

For courses to appear in the 'In Progress' section, they must be not yet completed and the current date must be after the course start date. The current date must be before the end date, or there is no end date. (Note: since 3.3.1 the courses 'In progress 'displayed in the Course overview block match the courses displayed in the navigation drawer, although a site administration navigation setting can limit this number.)

(Edited by Gareth J Barnard - remove eMail included original post - original submission Friday, 18 August 2017, 7:27 PM)

In reply to Shelly Vaughan

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

'navcourselimit' setting?  But this might actually be broken: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=357147#p1440735.

by Terry Aulenbach -

Do you know if this will ever be fixed? Isn't the redundant code what should actually be running to implement this limit? We need more than 6 courses to show and there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. Or should I say the way to do that is still broken? Setting this limit has absolutely no effect, even in 3.5.

In reply to Terry Aulenbach

by Gareth J Barnard -

by Terry Aulenbach -

Thank you, Gareth. This is exactly what we needed. I'm just surprised the the 'navcourselimit' option under Site administrations/Appearance/Navigation settings doesn't change this setting. What exactly does navcourselimit do?? If not this then why isn't there an option that does change this number?

Now the trick is to get our Tech dept. to agree to hacking the code.  

In reply to Terry Aulenbach

by Carol Howells -

I'd really like to increase the number of courses displayed also and cannot hack the code. I am using 3.4. This is a step backwards I think, also you cannot re-arrange the course list to a personal preference, which you could do in version 3.0.