Admin CLI is changing grades for all students in some courses! HELP

Admin CLI is changing grades for all students in some courses! HELP

by T H -
Number of replies: 2

Hi. We are finding that some of our courses (three so far) have had grades changed for the students in bulk to the max grade possible all at the same time, by the Admin User via CLI. No one has change the grades, in fact know one actually knows how to change them in bulk by triggering the CLI as we are fairly new with Moodle.

Example from Grade History:

Friday, 11 August 2017, 10:00 AMStudent1e10612@citycollege.ac.ukFacilitating Change in HSC Assignment Jan 17 Submission3.005.00Admin Usermod/assignNoNoNo

Then when you look into the site logs for that time you see:

11/08/17, 10:00 Admin User Student1 Course: Unit 26: Facilitating Change in HSC System User graded
The user with id '2' updated the grade with id '228' for the user with id '692' for the grade item with id '67'. cli

The above is for every student in that course.

I can't see in the logs anything that triggers a bulk grade change. I've checked scheduled tasks and there are none executed at that time. I don't know exactly where to look for additional logs for scheduled tasks in the Linux install, but would appreciate the information.

Moodle info: Moodle 3.1.3+ (Build: 20161129)
Linux, CentOS 6

The course aggregate is set to Natural and the weights at 100%. I can see in the logs that they don't adjust the grade.

I haven't turned on debugging as it happens randomly with two/three week gaps.

So my questions, besides has anyone had this, are:

• Is there a way to set max grades in bulk within Moodle?
  • Is there any logs or Moodle section that you can see what actually triggers CLI actions? And can you tell me where to find them?
  • Where are the schedule task logs in CentOS? Are there other logs I should be looking into to find this in Linux?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to T H

Re: Admin CLI is changing grades for all students in some courses! HELP

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

User ID 2 is the original admin account established when the Moodle was first installed.   Anyone person have that info?   Any one person still use the account?

And the reference to 'cli' could mean web services and/or some script being run from the command line.   Does anyone have access via ssh to the server and do you have any scripts customized?

Probably don' t want to turn off web services as that would affect handheld apps/smarphone/tablet access, but you need to check the set up of web services to see how open they are.

You could change the password for user ID 2 to see what breaks and what gets logged.

Then watch apache error logs ... on centOS normally in /var/log/httpd/ for access by that user ID.   Logs should show IP address being used.   Tracking back on that IP would show where the access attempts are coming from and, depending upon how one has logging setup in apache, the device being used as well.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Admin CLI is changing grades for all students in some courses! HELP

by T H -

Thanks for the info Ken! There are three users that use the Admin account. I've just created them their own admin accounts now to temporarily use while I track whats happening with this one.

I'll try the change password method that you suggested next and see what breaks.