Teachers Cannot Add Activites and Resources after Upgrading to 3.3+

Teachers Cannot Add Activites and Resources after Upgrading to 3.3+

by Diane Salamone -
Number of replies: 8

We upgraded Moodle from 2.8+ to Moodle 3.3+ and now teachers cannot Add Activities or Resources.  When they click on the link the menu does not appear at all.  In addition they cannot click the pencil next to items to edit an existing item.  This is true for existing courses as well as new ones.  The teacher role I am using is the built in teacher role.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Diane Salamone

Re: Teachers Cannot Add Activites and Resources after Upgrading to 3.3+

by Diane Salamone -

Neglected to mention that we installed Moodle 3.3+ on a virtual server with Xubuntu 16.04 LTS (Long Term Support).  Thanks!

by Rahul Rai -

Hi Diane

Are you able to Turn on Editing Mode?  

Also turn on Debug and see if you can get any error message.

In reply to Rahul Rai

by Diane Salamone -

We are able to turn editing mode on.  However, we cannot click on "Add and Activity or Resource" or the edit title button next to an item on the page.

I am listed as an admin on the site and I am able to click on these items and they work.  However, another staff member who is listed as an admin cannot click on the items.  Anyone with the role of teacher cannot click on these items either.  I already check the permissions and everything seems to be set.  In addition, we have never edited the permissions of the built in teacher role.  Does 3.3 change anything with permissions that I am just not finding?

Thanks, Diane 

by Joost Elshoff -
Particularly helpful Moodlers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Testers колдонуучунун сүрөтү

No, Moodle 3.3 doesn't toggle permissions of any kind. What theme are you using? And what browser/workstation settings do you have that might prevent correct functioning of JavaScript components?

Another thing to check, is if there are any errors thrown caused by older (incompatible) plugins. I know, for instance, that MOO Typer doesn't play well with Boost-based themes.

If you don't want to turn debugging on for the entire server, there are ways of debugging your instance locally, using the hostfile.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Diane Salamone -

We are using the Clean theme.  

As an update we updated the virtual server to the last stable version, updated all plugins and moved the data over from the old server.  We can now click on the Add Activities and Resources links with the teacher role.  We found a setting “Activity chooser default” – when disabled, there are simple drop-downs for selecting activities and resources where the “+ Add an activity or resource” link used to be. When we enable this setting, we get the non-functional “+ Add an activity or resource”  

So, the Add Activites and Resources link issue is resolved.  However, we are still having an issue with the pencil icon.  When we click on the pencil icon nothing happens.  Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.  

Thanks, Diane

by Mihailescu Lucian -

Hi,

We have a similar issue, also on Moodle 3.3. I try to allow a teacher to edit a newly created course and when I logged in as the teacher I can't see the "Add Activities and Resources" link on the course page, when I turn editing on.

We have proper roles assigned for Teacher. I tried many suggestions found on this forum, but still I did not get it to work. I enabled debug but there is no error in the error_log when accessing the course. I tried also assigning Course editor and Manager, but with no luck. 

When I set this user as a site administrator then I can view the "Add Activities and Resources" link. We use Boost theme, but I don't think it's theme related, as site admin can see the links.

What else can I try?

Thank you!

Lucian

In reply to Mihailescu Lucian

by Jon Witts -
Particularly helpful Moodlers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Plugin developers колдонуучунун сүрөтү Testers колдонуучунун сүрөтү

This could be a Javascript issue... Have you tried clearing your theme caches and your local browser caches?

Jon

In reply to Jon Witts

by Mihailescu Lucian -

Thank you for the suggestion, Jon. Cleaning theme cash had the same results. In our case, we coudn't see the "Add activities and resource" link at all. 

I was able to solve it by comparing the User roles with another Moodle website. 

When I went to this specific course and I checked the Course administrations - Users - Permission I noticed that some user roles were Prohibited, including Authorized user role.

I changed Prohibited with Not set for all these occurences in Authorized user role and then it worked. (this is in Site administration - Users - Permissions - Define roles - click on Authorized user gear to edit it)

Somehow those permission got messed up on this specific Moodle site. A 5 minute solution after many hours of searching smile

Average of ratings:Useful (1)