restrict guest access for courses in a specific category

restrict guest access for courses in a specific category

by stefan weber -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Plugin developers

We generally have guest access open for all the courses at our site.

However, we have a category for test courses, where I want guest access disabled for all courses.

Since it would be rather tedious to manually disable guest access for all the courses in this category, and this still wouldnt stop newly created courses from having guest access enabled (which is the default setting), i wondered if there was any way to restrict guest users from viewing courses in a specific course category using the permissions for this specific course category.

Any help would be appreciated smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to stefan weber

Re: restrict guest access for courses in a specific category

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I want to say this is the job of  Roles. But I can't find any documentation or settings to override Role settings at category level. Which as you can assign roles at category level, to me is a massive gap.

To change the default enrolment permissions (guest = off for any new course created), use this link:

https://yourmoodleurl/admin/settings.php?section=enrolsettingsguest (set Allow Guest Access at the bottom to No).
This link is for moodle 3.1

HTH

In reply to Dave Perry

by stefan weber -

feels like a gap to me as well

i do not want to change the default enrolment permissions, as we still want to have guest access enabled for all courses created in all other categories

In reply to stefan weber

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

While it is not quite as quick, it is of course quite possible to set or disable guest access for each course.

In reply to stefan weber

by Rainer Schaufelberger -

Hi

I have the opposite problem. We usually have no guest access to courses. I would like to set guest access and password to a specifc category.

I searched for a webservice function to set the access for a course, but couldn't find one.

I hope that this feature will be available in the near future.

In reply to Rainer Schaufelberger

by stefan weber -

we would need the exact same feature, that would be very helpful

In reply to stefan weber

by Louise H -

We are also looking for this feature, it would be really useful to allow guest access just to a particular category of courses but keep everything else hidden.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)