Auto Enrolment alternatives

Auto Enrolment alternatives

by Chris Nelson -
Number of replies: 3

Presently we use LDAP for authentication and for enrolment. However until the student actual logs in for the first time, they do not appear in their course. And our faculty complain about why they do not see their full class when they go in. 

Is there a way to do this differently so that students once enrolled will automatically appear in their courses - without having to do the initial first login? Would it be better to do a bulk enrolment instead?

Presently we are running Moodle 2.6. We have 2 OU's set up, one for the students accounts and the 2nd one for the actual courses. We have a script which we run against a csv file from our student information system. The csv file contains the students first/last name, email address and courses (as CourseID's). The script sets the student up in AD and also puts them in the correct class group - in the course OU. This all works fine, its just that the students do not appear in their courses until first login.

Thanks for any input on other possibilities.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Nelson

Re: Auto Enrolment alternatives

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, there is a sync script in the enrolment/ldap/cli folder that you can run from command line.  You need the sync the users first...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chris Nelson -

Thanks Emma. I found the sync.php script in the enrol/ldao/cli folder

However, I am not sure what you mean by "You need the sync the users first..." can you provide more details please?

I found the sync.php script in the enrol/ldao/cli folder

In reply to Chris Nelson

by Chris Chapman -

Depending on which verison of Moodle your on, 3.0 up included a scheduled task which synchs all users in your AD. we turned ours on yesterday. Works a dream.

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/LDAP_authentication#Enabling_the_LDAP_users_sync_job 

For older versions I think the details are here? https://docs.moodle.org/22/en/LDAP_authentication#Cron_synchronization_script