Want to change GUI for short answer.

Want to change GUI for short answer.

by Melissa . -
Number of replies: 2

I want to change the gui for entering in a short answer, so the teacher and the student can both use the Atto editor that is used for the question.  The reason I want to do that is that the answer is going to be in a rtl language, so I need the extra functionality of the Atto editor provides.  Having multilines is not an issue.  

Example: The question is an English sentence, "Who are you?" and the answer is a Hebrew translation:

"מי את?"  

As you can see here, without the rtl buttons even in the Atto editor the text displays incorrectly.  I have already changed my Atto defaults to show the rtl buttons.

I am using Moodle 3.2.  I can see the file: shortanswer/edit_shortanswer_form.php

And then I see these two lines of code:

$this->add_per_answer_fields($mform, get_string('answerno', 'qtype_shortanswer', '{no}'), question_bank::fraction_options());

$this->add_interactive_settings();

But I can't find these two functions to change the answer edit box from being just one line to an Atto editor.

Any help would be appreciated.  

Melissa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melissa .

Re: Want to change GUI for short answer.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The bit the student sees at runtime is generated from renderer.php

In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Want to change GUI for short answer.

by Melissa . -

Found my solution ...

/question/type/edit_question_form.php 

(This is located in the directory above each specific question type)

There is a function called "get_per_answer_fields()".

$answeroptions[] = $mform->createElement('text',

I changed the line to 

$answeroptions[] = $mform->createElement('editor',

Since I did the change outside of any specific questions, all questions that had this problem (multiple choice, matching, short answer, etc) are now fixed.

It definitely pays to get a good night's sleep to clear your mind.  smile 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)