Moodle 3.3.1 user upload issue

Moodle 3.3.1 user upload issue

by na li -
Number of replies: 5

Dear Moodle Developers,

Our University has been using Moodle for 10 years and we upgrade our Moodle to the latest version every year.

This August, we plan to upgrade Moodle to Moodle 3.3.1 but we found an issue while testing the user upload function. This issue also happened in https://demo.moodle.net/ 

We will be really appreciate if you can help to check this issue. We will need to upload thousands of new users soon in the middle of August.

[This is a short description of the issue] : we have enabled the LDAP authentication. We've tested the LDAP setting, it is working fine and we can login with the LDAP accounts. Then we used the csv file to upload new users. We chose the "LDAP" for the authentication option while uploading it. But all the new users were added as manual accounts.

[The version of Moodle]: Moodle 3.3.1+(Build: 20170727)

[Test Server information]:

Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS), php 5.6.27

CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core) 

mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.16

[Following are the instructions I've followed]:

1. site administration->users->accounts->upload users

2. upload the csv file

3. select the upload type and authentication method, leave everything else by default.

4. click upload and then we can see ,the authentication column is "manual". Although we've selected "LDAP".

Best wishes,

Lina

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to na li

Re: Moodle 3.3.1 user upload issue

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi, can't say that I have ever noticed it before, but going over my work Users I find the same thing - well, almost. I have no idea why but some Users are in one Authentication group and others are Manual, strange. Our Users were uploaded in two separate files, about a week apart and there seems no connection other than that. Checking the original csv files, there is no correlation between who is manual authentication and who is automatically done electronically.  There is no issue, we are only a small institute, less than 1,000 Users, and we have not experienced any problems here. So while I can't help, it doesn't hurt to know you are not alone.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by na li -

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for your information. That's really helpful.

Since you've got the same problem, it might be an issue. I will create an item in Tracker as well. Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Lina

In reply to na li

by na li -

Hi All,

I have attached the csv file for user upload test. For the authentication method, not only the LDAP method be affected, but also the other methods. For example, if I choose email registration or no login as the authentication method, once I uploaded the user, system will set it to manual.

Besides, I have tested that this issue also happened in the Version 3.1.5 (Build: 20170313).

Since there's another user has the same issue, it seems this might be a bug. Hope this could be solved as soon as possible. The new semester is coming.

Many thanks.

Best wishes,

Lina

In reply to na li

by na li -

This is a major issue because we will use this upload function to add over 10,000 new users each semester and since the selected authentication method was ignored, we will have to manually edit each users' authentication method one by one. Or else they cannot login to Moodle. That's really a huge task to us. We only have 3 staff to support Moodle for the whole university. That's why I've tag this issue major.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)