Solr Global Search - Unexpected end of serialized data

Solr Global Search - Unexpected end of serialized data

by Jeff White -
Number of replies: 4

I have the latest install of Moodle 3.3 and I am getting the message below whenever I attempt to perform a search with my environment. Does anyone know what direction I should go with trying to resolve this issue? I believe its a miss configuration with my environment but I have not had any success with narrowing it down the cause.

Error Message: 

Notice: SolrResponse::getResponse(): Unexpected end of serialized data in moodle/search/engine/solr/classes/engine.php on line 194

Exception - Error un-serializing response

More information about this error

×Debug info: 

Error code: generalexceptionmessage

×Stack trace:

line 194 of /search/engine/solr/classes/engine.php: SolrException thrown

line 194 of /search/engine/solr/classes/engine.php: call to SolrResponse->getResponse()

line 143 of /search/engine/solr/classes/engine.php: call to search_solr\engine->get_query_response()

line 507 of /search/classes/manager.php: call to search_solr\engine->execute_query()

line 453 of /search/classes/manager.php: call to core_search\manager->search()

line 106 of /search/index.php: call to core_search\manager->paged_search()

Additional Info:

• Running version PHP 7.0.6
  • PHP-Solr 2.4.0
  • Solr Server 6.6.0
  • Solr does successfully connect to Moodle
  • Able to index all my data on solr within Moodle
  • Solr server is working with other Moodle instances working on other servers. 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff White

Re: Solr Global Search - Unexpected end of serialized data

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What do the solr logs say?

In one server I have with solr search, the log is in /opt/solr/server/logs/

and it keeps a daily log - solr.log

But there are also solr_gc.logs.

Not that I would understand what they log ... but there might be a clue in one of those. smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Jeff White -

Hey Ken,

I looked over the logs and nothing obvious jumped out such as an error message. I did a ALL level logging and ran a search on the working moodle environment and the not working moodle environment both using the same solr server. I compared line for line the logs and they are near 100% the same. Rather frustrating. I am pretty sure its not the solr service itself that is messing up but something on my lamp cluster that is causing the problem. 

Has anyone been able to run Solr in non secure mode with a web site using https? I did turn off https on my website and I still got the same error within moodle. My LAMP cluster has a load balancer running the HTTPs while the web nodes are running on port 80. I would assume if the web server is not trusting the solr server talking to it would state that in the apache logs :/. 

My troubleshooting step will be to recompile the php-solr which will be not so fun. 

In reply to Jeff White

by Jeff White -

Slight status update. I did load elastic search from Catalyst IT and the search engine works 100% using that tool on the malfunctioning environment. Since Elastic search does not require the php-solr extension or any other php extension on the web nodes, the likely culprit of my problem is php-solr

Elastic search took me less than 5 minutes to get working so I would recommend for everyone to at least experiment with it. 

In reply to Jeff White

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Also, on my CentOS 7 boxen, there was a (rated) critical security update to JRE which I applied today.

Jul 21 10:40:25 Updated: 1:java-1.8.0-openjdk-headless-1.8.0.141-1.b16.el7_3.x86_64
Jul 21 10:40:25 Updated: 1:java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.141-1.b16.el7_3.x86_64

Solr server didn't restart after the update ... had to start the service.

Yours?

'spirit of sharing', Ken