"New posts" since last visit

"New posts" since last visit

by Mark Schumann -
Number of replies: 2
It seems a lot of students don't use the discussion forums as much as other activities.  I believe one of the reasons is that there is no real indication that new content has been added since they viewed the forum last time.  It would be nice to have an indication that new posts have been added, next to the forum name.  For example, you could have "Site News - 3 new discussions". 

I realise there's the recent activity block but I don't believe that solves the issue at all, especially in a course which changes a lot, not just forum posts.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Schumann

Re: "New posts" since last visit

by Mark Stevens -
If you want your students to have an additional indication that new posts have been added, click "Update  this Forum" and set "Read tracking for this forum" to "On".  This will track whether or not a student has clicked on a forum posting.

And I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree that forums are under utiltized compared to other activities.  My students use the forums extensively.  I usually enable ratings (out of ten points) and the students love it...
In reply to Mark Schumann

Re: "New posts" since last visit

by Penny Leach -
Also, in 1.6 there'll be a 'my moodle' page which indicates

how many posts since last login
total unread posts

per forum, per course.