Groups on site level

Groups on site level

by Raghuram Iyer -
Number of replies: 3

Hello we  are looking for site level grouping something like this, 

we sell courses for like five institutions, and we want to hide some courses to some institutions and show some courses to other institutions. is that possible? I searched the forums and found this

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=25866

this was from back in 2005 so I was wondering if this feature has been added to moodle? or any plugins that can achieve this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Raghuram Iyer

Re: Groups on site level

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There's two things here...

- Site level groups are usually called 'Cohorts' and certainly do exist. See Cohorts

- Using Moodle for multiple institutions and hiding stuff for one from the other is generally called 'multi tenancy' and standard Moodle doesn't really support this. However, take a look at this fork of Moodle, www.iomad.org.  It is specifically designed for that and might be what you need (it's still free!)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Raghuram Iyer -

Hello Howard,

Thanks for the reply. I went through cohorts, from what I have understood, it is like superset  of groups. but since groups itself are like only available within courses, its much more like grouping students who  took psychology course and CS course to do some form of experiment assignment together. Right?. I'll look into it and see if my dev team can do something about it. We have half implemented moodle in our systems so switching to iomad may not be feasible. anyways I'll surely look into it. 

PS: any idea on the complexity of migration from moodle to iomad?

In reply to Raghuram Iyer

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can simply replace your Moodle code with Iomad code (as long as you can get the same version of Moodle or newer - Iomad lags a bit behind). Your courses, users, content etc. will all be retained. It's still Moodle, just with some extra stuff and some very minor core changes. If you have custom plugins for Moodle they should still work fine in Iomad.

You just need to go into the Iomad dashboard as set up your Institutions and which users and courses belong to which institution. You can also set up a 'management' hierarchy of users for reporting purposes. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)