Group submission and peer review

Group submission and peer review

by Lisa Lloyd -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

I need some advice about which activity to use and how to configure it.

I need a tool that allows a group to work on an activity and submit one final document for assessment, and for another group to be able to view that document and add feedback comments for the first group.

From what I can find, the workshop activity allows the peer evaluation but not the group submission, and the assignment tool allows the group submission but not the peer review. Any ideas on how I can make this work in one place?

Thanks,

Lisa 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lisa Lloyd

Re: Group submission and peer review

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

another group to be able to view that document and add feedback comments for the first group

Well it depends on how the actual feedback should look like. If it is mostly informal / unstructured comments, then actually modules like Forum or Glossary might work best.

If the assessment is supposed to be more structured (as for example via a rubric or so), then how would it be done as a group? What if one group member disagrees with someone other from the same assessing group?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Lisa Lloyd -

We're giving them a guideline document about the kind of feedback we want, but we're not using anything strict like a rubric. It's purely constructive comments like "have you thought of x?" that they're giving back. A forum could work.

In reply to Lisa Lloyd

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yeah, I think it is exactly what forums in Moodle were designed for.

In reply to Lisa Lloyd

by Jordi Saldo -

Hi,

I started this year using the Workshop took in Moodle. It works fine for individual submissions.

I tried to do this year a groupwork, with group submission, but I was not able to configure the individual evaluation of all the works but their own one. I finally did a manual assignation of the works to be graded (based on a rubrica).

Do you think there is a way to automate this process?

Jordi

In reply to Jordi Saldo

by David Mudrák -

Hello Jordi, and welcome to the Workshoppers club smile

Can you please elaborate a bit more on what you mean by individual submissions vs group submissions in Workshop? The module does not officially support group submissions (in a way like Assignment does, for example).

In reply to David Mudrák

by Sergio Tessaris -

Dear David, I think that the module not supporting group summissions is exactly the problem. I find myself in the same position of assigning the students the evaluation of group works, and I need to find ways around the limitation of workshop activity.

I usually ask the students to upload just an assignment per group, doing a manual allocation, and finally copying the received grading to the other menbers of the groups. With many students, this is going to be coumbersome and error prone.

I just don't get why the activity cannot support group submissions. BTW what do you mean by "officially support"? Is there a way of getting an "unofficial support"?

Best,

--sergio

In reply to Sergio Tessaris

by David Mudrák -

I just don't get why the activity cannot support group submissions.

It's not intentional. It's just the feature has not been implemented yet. There is a feature request open to add it - MDL-35594.

Is there a way of getting an "unofficial support"?

Sorry, I guess "official" was not a good English word describing what I meant. I meant that the feature has not been implemented in standard Moodle distribution. Some institutions have their custom variant of the Workshop that adds it - see the issue above for more details.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Nigel Robertson -

Hi David

That tracker has been open for a long time. Is there any chance that it will progress in the foreseeable future?

I came across it (and this thread) for the same reasons described above. We will have students working in groups on a project. We want them to submit files once as a group and for those files to show against everyone in the group. They would then be reviewed on an individual basis by others in the class. I can see that it would need to be able to prevent a student reviewing more than one person from a particular group.

Cheers, Nigel