Course catagories block shown and not shown - WHY?

Course catagories block shown and not shown - WHY?

by Peter K. Speiser -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Moodle pros,

I Need your help in understanding why sometimes the Course categories block is shown on the Dashboard and sometime it is not.

I do not understand this and I do not understand from which Setting this is depending.

Please see attached example.

As I am a bit desperate I am really appreciate your Support on this.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,

Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter K. Speiser

Re: Course catagories block shown and not shown - WHY?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As the administrator, follow the instructions here Dashboard for setting the default dashboard for all users. From the page Default dashboard, add the course categories block and then click to Reset Dashboard for all users.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter K. Speiser -

Hi Mary,

it is not working as you stated.

Please see attached documentation.

Do you know why this is not working out right?

Kind regards,

Peter

In reply to Peter K. Speiser

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry - but it IS correct. You see, the course categories block is actually called the Courses block and it only shows categories when a student is not enrolled in any courses (so admins, who are not enrolled in any courses will see course categories.) Once a student is enrolled in a course, the block displays as My courses and will only display the courses a student is enrolled in.

You have a couple of options if you want to display course categories

1. do it on the front page of your site -see Front page settings
  2. Make an HTML block with links to the course categories and then add it to the default dashboard, resetting for everyone as you did for the course block.