Gapfill Question type 1.95 beta test

Gapfill Question type 1.95 beta test

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I would like feedback on the beta version of my Gapfill question type 1.95. The main change is the addition of an optionsaftertext feature whereby the draggable options are displayed after the body of text. This should make it easier to use on mobile devices as it reduces the need for a drag/scroll action.

You can experiment with it as a student on the Mobile Quizzing course at
http://www.questiontype.co.uk/mdl/

username:mobile-student
password:angular

Try the quiz called "Options After Text Demonstration Quiz" 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Gapfill Question type 1.95 beta test

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I just had a quick look at the new option. In my eyes, it is a clear improvement.

On a normal computer the blank option seems a bit confusing to me because you can delete the entry with your keyboad, but you can't do so with your mouse (which is probably what a user would expect).

In reply to Matthias Giger

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks for your feedback Matthias, could you elaborate about deleting the entry with the mouse?

There are quite a few "behind the scenes" improvements in this release including at least one little bug squashed and much more behat automated testing . That is something that non-developers should never see but lays the foundation for future development.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Once I drag a label into a field, I can replace it with another one but I can't move the label out of the field so that it is empty again. I tested it only shortly in Opera (based on Chrome). The only way to get rid of the entry is to delete it with the keyboard. Most users would probably expect that they can drag the label out of the field with their mouse.

In reply to Matthias Giger

by Marcus Green -

Ahh yes, I understand now, you can do that with the core ddwtos question type so it feels like a real movable thing. I will not address that with this release but I will think about it for a future release. Many  thanks for the feedback.

In reply to Marcus Green

by AL Rachels -

I agree with Matthias, having the drag items below the question "is a clear improvement." With my fat fingers on my smart phone, I really like the answers in the table format of the last question, as it let me click in the answer box and just type in the answer, instead of dragging it.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Marcus Green -

Kudos to Elton LaClare of Sojo University Japan which funded the Mobile App version of this plugin. He gave me feedback that inspired this feature and I think it is as valuable in browsers (particularly mobile) as in the App. 

I also think that touch to select and drop would be good on standard browsers, unfortunately that breaks things in a secure browser environment.