PHP Requirements for Moodle 3.3+

PHP Requirements for Moodle 3.3+

by Gerard Norris -
Number of replies: 10

Hi Guys,

I currently am running Moodle 3.1.3+ (Build: 20161118) and wish to upgrade to 3.3+

The listed PHP Requirements for 3.3+ is 5.6.5

My PHP Version is 5.6.30

I have asked my web host provider to increase my PHP Version to a minimum of 5.6.5. They have been most unhelpful and state the following: "You should be able to update moodle with the php version on your server"

I believe this could be a potential risk in the absence of any hard evidence.

Can you please let me know if it is possible to upgrade from Moodle 3.1.3+ to Moodle 3.3+ with PHP Version 5.6.30? 

Many thanks.

Gerard.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerard Norris

Re: PHP Requirements for Moodle 3.3+

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

30 is greater than 5. So yes, php 5.6.30 is newer than is required for Moodle 3.3+.

In reply to Bret Miller

by Gerard Norris -

Of course it is Bret. 

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I thought the 5.6.30 was an error and should have read 5.6.3.

Thanks again.

Gerard.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In case you're feeling silly, you're by no means the first and won't be the last!

You're go to go with 5.6.30

In reply to Howard Miller

by Gerard Norris -

Thanks Howard,

As per my response to Bret, I thought it was an error.

With so many courses on our Moodle site, I did not want to mess up. A clear oversight on my part... shucks.

Many thanks for your response.

Gerard.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I forget this every time - 30 is bigger than 5 therefore 5.6.30 is bigger than 5.6.5 -I do know the PHP system - it just doesn't seem right to me somehow..mixed

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

A lot of companies used to version that way--appending a maintenance release to a number so in their world 5.6.5 would be 5.6.50, but thankfully most companies have moved to where the numbers mean what they say and if they add a maintenance release it's separated by a dot or dash for clarity. So I do understand the confusion. 

Moodle is pretty good about version checking if you use the site admin / server / environment page to check the requirements before you upgrade.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bret Miller

by Archie Ba -

They should just skip the .5o and call it, for example, 5.6.51 which would remove all these confusions.

In reply to Archie Ba

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It doesn't. 

People just read (say) 5.6.37 as "five point six point three seven". We see this a LOT. And, yes, I've done it myself wink

by Rahul Rai -

HI Gerard

I am using php version 5.6.30

PHP version

And Moodle 3.3+ version. I am not getting any problem, For upgrading. 

you have a any other issue.

In reply to Rahul Rai

by Howard Miller -

He's not suggesting he did have a problem. There was just some confusion over the numbering scheme.