Issues with upgrading.

Issues with upgrading.

by Rene Diaz -
Number of replies: 4
My host provider confused upgrading my wordpress site and ended up upgrading my moodle site. On top of that they did it incorrectly and now the site is having issues. They now won't take responsibility to fix it so I'm hoping I can get some advice on how to fix it.

So far I am getting a notice about plugins in the Cache folder that need to be resolved. I am attaching an image to better explain (sorry i'm not so tech savvy).
It seems I need to upgrade the plugins listed (but not 100% sure). If that is the case I do not know where to find them. I'm also not sure what moodle version it was before (it's been a long time since I had upgraded. And they are not sure what version it was upgraded to (very frustrating).
Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
René
Attachment Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 4.38.32 PM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rene Diaz

Re: Issues with upgrading.

by Natassia Stelmaszek -

Rene,

Try going to your Site Administration -> Notifications page and then click on the "plugins overview" link in the sentence "See plugins overview page for more details".  Hopefully that will give you the option to install or update the missing items.

Natassia

In reply to Natassia Stelmaszek

by Rene Diaz -

Hi ,

Thank you Natassia for getting back to me. I am not able to get to any other page or settings. When I Login I'm directed to the "Plugins check" page admin/index.php (screen shot included). To my understanding I need to add the cache plugins (from previous screen shoot in my original post) through C-Panel. But the problem is I do not know where to find these plugins to install them.

Attachment Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 2.19.25 PM.png
In reply to Rene Diaz

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

René, it doesn't seems like you can install cache plug-ins on a shared server, which seems like to be your case.

now regarding plug-ins, some are manually installed like in your latest screen shot "attcontrol", will have button (install this update) as shown, all you have to do is click button and it will install it for you, in addition, above that I can see Advance Mindmap as well, which seems your hosting providers have missed some plug-ins directories to move to new installation, so they are showing missing from new moodle folder, you have to manually go into File Explorer from your CPanel, and then download plug-ins there.

not a very techy requirement, but surly will require patience. which version were you before and which version they have upgraded to?

Can I have a look into your site to see which plug-ins are missing preciously? (you can send me private message)

In reply to Rene Diaz

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Ouch!  I'll say they messed it up ... understatement.

The first screen shot shows core code ... comes with the package.

So, what version of Moodle were you on before the upgrade attempt?   And what version were they attempting to upgrade to?

Suggest one could download both of those versions locally (zip files so you should be able to unzip them on any platform).   You'll have to create separate folders ... like moodleVRN where 'VRN' is version number.  When you unzip they will create a moodle directory with the code in it (that's why the separate folders by VRN).

In the unzipped moodle directories, look in: moodle/cache/stores/

You will see those that Moodle wants to upgrade.  In each subdirectory/folder there is a version.php file that contains the version numbers.

Also look in moodle/cache/lock/ and you'll find the 'file' thing moodle is looking for.

Once you've determined which versions you need, upload only those directories to the same locations as they were in the unzipped archive.

Do those first ...

Then tackle the addons ... your second screen shot.

Before doing all that, however, did you or they, create a full site backup before attempting upgrades?   Full site is code, DB dump, and data directory.

Do you have a backup?   IF so, how old is it?   At this point, it might be best to restore the backup.

'spirit of sharing', Ken