Site Announcements

Site Announcements

by Luke Wilson -
Number of replies: 8

Hello all using Moodle 3.3 - when logged in as the admin I can view the Site Announcements, however, when logged in as a student it is all hidden. Clicking on the 'Subscribe to this forum' displays an error message ' Sorry, this activity is currently hidden'. Frontpage settings are set to show announcements when logged in. what am I missing here?

Attachment 2.PNG
Attachment Capture.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luke Wilson

Re: Site Announcements

by C Behan -

Hi Luke,

I would go in to the forum itself as an admin and check the settings of that forum e.g. under Common Module Settings is it hidden? What is the forum type - the warnings above look like what you'd see in a Question and Answer forum type.

Catherine

In reply to C Behan

by Luke Wilson -

Thanks for the advice, however, there is no such option (Common Module Settings)  in the settings of the frontpage site announcements. 

Attachment Capture.PNG
In reply to Luke Wilson

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Have you tried changing the default front page role setting on that page to authenticated user and then logging in as a student? I'm not sure there are 'students' on the front page. 

In reply to Luke Wilson

by Luke Wilson -

Some additional information - If I log in as one of my site managers I can see the site announcements. It is only when I am logged in as a student that the announcements show has hidden. 

In reply to Luke Wilson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Luke,

Unless you have a good reason to change it, you should leave the setting 'Default frontpage role' (defaultfrontpageroleid) as default - Authenticated user on frontpage.

If you change it to a different role, you'll need to make sure that the role has all the permissions that the role 'Authenticated user on frontpage' has.

In reply to Luke Wilson

by John Provasnik -

Another place to check your permissions to see if any changes have been made are the ones when you look at your front page Admin block. Click on Front Page Settings - Users - Permissions

Make sure your front page role/authenticated user/student (whatever it may be) can "mod/forum:viewdiscussion"

Also go to the Main Menu block on your Front Page and click on School News (or whatever that news forum is called), and then click on Permissions to check "mod/forum:viewdiscussion" is enabled there as well.

Finally, (like above), go to the Main Menu block on your Front Page and click on School News, and then click on Edit Settings. Scroll down to the Common Module Settings & Restrict Access settings and see if there are any restrictions set there (like a grouping).

In reply to Luke Wilson

by Jon Bolton -

When logged in as admin, can you edit the individual posts? What do you see? Did you change any settings in the 'timed display' section?