Showing points and a grade (with some conditions)

Showing points and a grade (with some conditions)

by Ago Luberg -
Number of replies: 2

I want to show total points and final grade in gradebook. What I have done is create a new category "grade" and just wrote a formula which translates points to a grade (we have numeric grades). But I understand I should be able to do that somehow with the scale. My question is, if I have some additional conditions for the grade, can those be used? For example, we have an exam, you have to get more than 30 points for it, then use the total points to "calculate" the grade. If it's 30 or less, then the outcome should be 0. Is there a better way for this than using an empty category (to be able to use formula)?

In reply to Ago Luberg

Re: Showing points and a grade (with some conditions)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The gradebook shows total points and final grade by default so not sure why you felt the need to create a grade category.  However, you will need a category for the quiz so that you can have your custom calculation.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Showing points and a grade (with some conditions)

by Ago Luberg -

Probably depends on the setup. Our Moodle shows just the sum of all points by default.

What I want to achieve is that 91points or more will give you "A". But if you haven't done "project X", then the max grade is "B". Can I achieve this somehow with Moodle tools? My solution has been using a separate grade category, where I use something like "=min(TOTAL/something, 4 + cei(PROJECT_X/100))"

where 5 == "A", 4 == "B" etc. If "Project X" has some points, the ceil() part would be rounded to 1 and I get 4 + 1 = 5. Otherwise it remains 4. Whatever the "main" calculation of the course is, I can limit the max grade.