multilanguage in 'first time here' page

multilanguage in 'first time here' page

by Hiram Bollaert -
Number of replies: 7

In the 'first time here' page (new user) I have used multilang spans like this <span lang="fr" class="multilang">, but all spans are shown, not just the one in the proper language

the new visitor is able to choose a language but a button in the top right, and the GUI changes language, but not the instructions in the right frame 

I'm using Moodle 3.1.5 (Build: 20170313)

any advice?

cheers
Hiram

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hiram Bollaert

Re: multilanguage in 'first time here' page

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Hiram,

Please see the section 'Is this your first time here?' instructions in the documentation Managing authentication for details of how to provide the instructions in multiple languages.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Hiram Bollaert -

ok I dared to do that....

and I've got the result I wanted smile

thank you Helen

Cheers to Koen smile

Hiram

In reply to Helen Foster

by Jacques LeCavalier -

Hi, Helen.

I had the same problem as Hiram - I was using multllang tags in the "First time here" instructions and both EN and FR texts were showing. I followed the instructions you pointed to re. language pack string customization, and now nothing is displayed at all.

I also deleted the login text from the Manage authentications area in Plugins, as I figured this would cause some sort of conflict of strings...

We're using Moodle 3.3 with Boost theme.

Any help is appreciated.

Jacques

In reply to Jacques LeCavalier

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jacques,

As you have provided instructions via language customisation, please double-check that the auth_instructions field is completely empty. If you are using a text editor, you will need to click the HTML button (</>) to see the code view and delete any HTML such as a br tag left there, then save changes.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Jacques LeCavalier -

Thanks, Helen. 

That was an excellent thing to check, but the field was in fact completely empty of any HTML. Still getting no display  of either of the language strings in the logon box.

Pesky little problem...

by Jacques LeCavalier -

I realize now that in fact, the instructions field in Manage Authentications should NOT be empty when language customization is used for the "firsttime" string.

When I added a hyphen character, the custom language strings from the language pack displayed properly.

thanks again for your help!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Helen Foster -

Jacques, glad to hear you've managed to make the custom language strings display. Thanks for posting your solution. I guess the behaviour was changed at some point.