Random questions from within the question bank

Random questions from within the question bank

by Dwight Souder -
Number of replies: 2

I was wondering if someone could help me out?  I am not even sure if I know how to ask the question, due to being a Moodle novice.

I teach Chemistry and I really like the ability so that every student has a slightly version of the same questions, such as one student having a calculation that starts with "2g of Na", another student "5g of Na" and someone else having "22g of Na".

What I would like to know is it possible to make it so that one student has "2g of Na", another student "5g of Al", and another student "17g of Cl"?  Or, where about half of the students would get a question about "Na" and the other half would get a question about "Al"?

I guess what I'm wondering, when I am creating a new quiz and importing the questions from the question bank, can I create some of the questions so that some of the students would only get some random questions.  

Kind of like one students getting questions: 1, 2, 3a, 4c, 5.  

Student #2 gets: 1, 2, 3c, 4b, 5.  

Student #3 gets: 1, 2, 3b, 4a, 5.

I apologize for all of the scenarios.  Hopefully these help.

Dwight

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dwight Souder

Re: Random questions from within the question bank

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, you just create your variants of the question and add them all to a category, then when you create your quiz, you select add a random question and that will allow you to add a certain amount of random questions from a particular category or from different categories.  So, you could create an AI category, a CI category and then give each student a random question from each for example.

In reply to Dwight Souder

Re: Random questions from within the question bank

by Mark Hardwick -

Dwight,

Go to a quiz and click on "Edit Settings" and scroll down to "Layout".  You should be able to question order to random from there.

Mark