User Login Switching

User Login Switching

by Connor Yogore -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

I'd like to preface this with a cliched disclaimer. I am pretty new to moodle.

I have a series of issues that all seem to be related because they started around the same time within the last month. When I login to moodle it redirects me back to the homepage which is pretty standard. But my administration block is missing and the login button is still available as if I haven't logged in yet. If I click on a course then my block is back and it recognizes that I am logged in except for when it doesn't. Sometimes, instead of recognizing me it will say that I am logged in as what seems to be the last student to access the course. I guess ultimately I don't know if this is an authentication issue, a database issue, or what it is really.

Additionally, to put a hat on a hat, and I don't know if this is related. But my confirmation emails which aren't configured to run through SMTP but rather the PHP code, are not being received by some of my users. If this is related and helps you to diagnose my issue. If it is unrelated and in the wrong section then please disregard, I just figured it might be related because it started happening around the same time frame.

My moodle version is 2.8.1 running on a linuxbox, using the default easy install options from bluehost.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Connor Yogore

Re: User Login Switching

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Email not being received by some users is not related.  They are most probably being spammed.  The way to minimize this is to check the setting under email to always use reply address.

As for your login issue, it sounds like a caching issue.  I suggest clearing your caches and see if that makes any difference.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Connor Yogore -

Thank you for the response, I appreciate your help!

I have tried both that and deleting the session files because I had read in one of these topics that both of these things might help.

by Connor Yogore -

To clarify, neither thing actually fixed the problem and it is still persisting.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you turned on debugging and see if any errors show up?

by Connor Yogore -

In hindsight, I probably should have already done that but I just initiated it now.

by Connor Yogore -

Hi again

So like I said before, I am not super familiar with this aspect of web administration (I'm not even really a web administrator, this is kind of a situation I walked in on that got put in my lap) but there is a pretty repetitive trend in the error log that goes a little like this

[09-May-2017 13:04:13 America/Denver] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: _______________: Unable to initialize module
Module compiled with module API=20131226
PHP    compiled with module API=20100525
These options need to match
 in Unknown on line 0
 Where the blank line is several different modules mentioned over and over for the last two weeks give or take.

I did some googling and the results seemed to indicate that I need to update my php extensions because my php version was updated. I'm not entirely sure how to do that. Are there any learning resources for that sort of thing?