Switching from advanced grade preferences deletes changes

Switching from advanced grade preferences deletes changes

by Martin Cothran -
Number of replies: 6

When you make changes in the advanced grade preferences mode and switch back to regular preferences, all the changes you made in the advanced mode are changed back to the default settings.  That includes changes in categories, exceptions, as well as changes on the main preferences tab.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it solvable?

Thanks.

Martin Cothran

In reply to Martin Cothran

Re: Switching from advanced grade preferences deletes changes

by Alexandre Belousov -
That's not a bug, but a feature.
If you use "Hide advanced features", all customization is lost (cause they think you do not need that any more smile ).
In reply to Alexandre Belousov

by Martin Cothran -
The reason I have to change back to the standard features is because, in advanced preferences, some of the quiz categories will not show individual scores.  Some categories do and some don't.  Is there a way to see all individual scores short of going back to standard features?
In reply to Martin Cothran

by Michael Penney -
some of the quiz categories will not show individual scores.

Could you give more detail on the original problem?

You put a quiz in a category, students take the quiz, then you look at the quiz scores in the category, and you (the teacher) can't see individual student scores?

You should certainly be able to see all individual scores in both advanced gradebook mode and simple.

In advanced, in the preferences tab, what settings for showing/hiding points/percentage/weighted percent did you have?
In reply to Michael Penney

by Richard Williamson -

I suspect I have a problem which is related to this:

I deal a lot with custom scales for marking. A recent bugfix has enabled these to be seen in the gradebook. However, they don't appear when put into categories.

I also have had the problem of setting up lots of items into categories, turning advanced features off and then tearing my hair out because I have to re-enter all the items into the categories. Could we have a button to purge all categories, rather than do it withou asking?

In reply to Michael Penney

by Martin Cothran -

Let's say I have 20 separate quizzes of four different types.  I go to the grade page, I click the "Set Preferences" tab, then click on the "Show Advanced Preferences" button.  Then I click on the "Set Categories" tab.  Then I add the four different category types and categorize each quiz according to one of these, then I save the changes.

Then I click the "View Grades" tab, and am shown the quizzes in four columns.  I no longer see the individual grades.  I should be able to see them when I click on the category headings at the top, and most of the time I do.  But sometimes I will see grades when I click on one category heading, but if I click on the one next to it, it will not show the grades, as if there were no quizzes under the category.

Thanks.

In reply to Alexandre Belousov

by Mike Green -

I thought this was a bug when I found it today. The language moodle uses doesn't help - "hide advanced features" implies they can be shown again later. It looks like a viewing choice, rather than a data-changing choice. "delete advanced features" might give more warning! It's very easy to delete a lot of work at the click of a button as it stands. I don't really see why you shouldn't be able to toggle between a "simple" and a "complex" view of your data - basically being able to toggle categorisation on and off could be useful depending on whether you wanted to look at the whole spread of data or individual sections.