Fordson Moodle 3.3 Version

Re: Fordson Moodle 3.3 Version

by Hartmut Scherer -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Chris,

I did more testing with good results. The error when logged in as a student didn't occur again. 

(FYI) In my first test, I had backed up the course (with all users) in a life Moodle 3.2.2 site and restored it in the test site with Moodle 3.3. So I thought maybe there is something wrong with backing up and restoring from Moodle 3.2.2 to 3.3.

Then, I created a test course with a teacher and one student and one assignment with a collapsible tab in the description of the assignment. All went well. Course format was topics.

Then, I thought it may be the collapsed topics course format that I liked to use in my first test course. So I backed up the same course but with topics course format selected and restored the course to the test site. The error occurred again i.e., the body of the page was not visible for students. In conclusion: choosing topics format in M3.2.2 (instead of collapsed topics) didn't make any difference. The course format is not the culprit.

One of my questions is: what hinders the body tag to show up in the course main page of Fordson when students are logged in but "This course" is closed? What triggers the body tag when students open the overview "This course" and can see the entire course main page? 

The following screenshot shows the elements when a student is logged in but has not opened "This course."

The next screenshot shows you the element after a student has pressed "This course." I hope it makes sense what you see. 

Let me know if I can do more tests to find out why students may be unable to see the main class page of some (not all) restored older Moodle courses. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hartmut,

Did this go away with Fordson 1.4.7?  I did see on another course that a student would have trouble and it seemed to stem from HTML in the course summary.  

If you remove the course summary or just make sure any special "div" or other html elements all have closing tags does the problem go away?

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Hartmut Scherer -

Chris,

Cleaning the course summary did the trick. Now students can see the main class page properly.

I used the course summary to link to a syllabus so that students could see what to expect before they enrol in that course. But this is not that important. Teachers should know what happens when they add links in the course summary box that these links will be converted to plain text. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Hartmut Scherer -

Chris,

Is it possible to disable the custom login form on the front page? If I use display: none I still have an empty area on the left side.

front page - custom login form

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Chris Kenniburg -

Good suggestion as not everyone will want a login form.  I will build in a checkbox toggle in site admin to turn it off and just leave the textbox.

Maybe today or next week as we are about to have our Memorial holiday weekend.

by Chris Kenniburg -

This new feature to show/hide the custom login form is on github.  Will be included in the 1.4.9 release. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)