Updating from Moodle 3.0.5 to 3.1 in the middle of a semester

Updating from Moodle 3.0.5 to 3.1 in the middle of a semester

by Debbie Unterseher -
Number of replies: 4

Is there an easy way to find out what problems I might have, if any, to update from 3.0.5 to 3.1 right now, four weeks before school is over? I am told that all of the Moodle problems we've been having - quizzes that get a "Network connection lost" "your data may not be saved" error as well as Moodle taking a long time to update grades.  I know that going to 3.1 will make the time faster to update grades, because it looks like improvements were made on the read/write times, but I'm not sure it will help with the "network connection lost" error.

Just wondering how smart it will be to update this close to the end of the semester.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debbie Unterseher

Re: Updating from Moodle 3.0.5 to 3.1 in the middle of a semester

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Make a copy of your site and upgrade the copy. Test test test. 

I'm very sceptical a "network connection lost" error could be anything to do with the Moodle code though. That's a server or network problem.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I would probably recommend limping through for the last few weeks and then tackling your issues after the semester.  I also doubt that an upgrade is going to fix your network issues.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

My simple answer is for you without know more would be to install moodle on a "local" AMP system, and do your test upgrade there before upgrading your production server.  Of course, this sounds simple, but it will take you some time to learn and do.  But this will also allow you to follow Emma's recommendation.

I have MAMP running on my Mac.  I have a duplicate of my production moodle in it.  I always upgrade this copy before upgrading my production moodle.  MAMP also give me some time to explore what is new in the upgrade.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)