Course development workflows?

Course development workflows?

by Nicole Gaston -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I'm curious to know what people recommend in terms of course development and publishing workflows for Moodle courses with a number of key stakeholders?

We have a number of facilitated courses in development that have about 5 different people in different roles working on them at any given time.

Roles include course development team members who develop learning objectives, syllabi, etc. 

Course development team members also choose key resources (readings, videos, etc.) and manage the facilitation while the course is running.

Different people are involved in writing the actual content, and developing the activities, loading the content, activities and resources into Moodle and setting up the course.

The content authors and facilitators are not very comfortable building courses in Moodle so this is done by some one else. 

We have considered having the writers create and edit the content in a word processing software, but word processing software doesn't really capture the dynamic nature of Moodle and some activities in particular require a lot of templating that is difficult to express in a text document. 

We have also considered using tools for website development such as GatherContent, but again there are challenges as it would have to be adapted to suit Moodle.

I'm curious to know what processes other teams use and how they work in terms of course design and publishing?  How is content content created, reviewed, approved, and published?   What tools do you use to facilitate this workflow?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nicole Gaston

Re: Course development workflows?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I do not use a team, I do this by myself.  But maybe this will help.  (This list is not necessarily sequential, but rather interactive.)

1) Review overall course objectives.  (Could involve colleagues and other professionals.) 

2) Pick a good quality textbook that has a lot of digital support resources.

3) Determine what I will have to create myself.

4) Use PowerPoint, in outline mode, to organize each topic.

5) Use moodle, start creating topic items.  Duplicate/Edit as many topics and resources as possible.

6) Create webpages for student resources. (I use Dreamweaver.)

7) Create quiz questions in moodle.

8) Create lecture videos.

I have tried scripting videos ahead of time.  This is time consuming.  I currently prefer to focus on recording my voice using my PowerPoints.  My time is limited, and advanced scripting really does take a lot of time.

9) I am a professor.  No one  "approves" my courses.  I practice continuous improvement and value students' progress and feedback.

10) I publish my own content.  Of course, I use a variety of external resources when practical.

11) Always test everything.