Fordson v1.3.0 Help Discussion

Fordson v1.3.0 Help Discussion

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 68
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Version 1.3.0 introduces the ability to control the Nav Drawer.  Customizing the menu is done by removing default menu items and the ability to add new menu items.  If experience an issue or have a suggestion this is the official posting for Fordson 1.3 and above as listed on the plugin page.

Special thanks:

Alexander Bias with https://github.com/moodleuulm/moodle-local_boostnavigation

Carlos Escobedo with https://moodle.org/plugins/local_navigation.  

Fordson theme combines these two local plugins into one great experience and adds some control as to where the customization appears using the Fordson Theme.  

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Fordson v1.3.0 Help Discussion

by Duncan Higgons -

Hi Chris, 

Thank you very much for your hard work with this theme, it's absolutely perfect for me and keeps getting better.

I'm having a problem with the logo and was wondering if you could help please?

When i have just a compact logo, the logo appears correctly in the nav bar in all pages and the front page.

However when i add a logo as well as the compact logo, it appears correctly in the nav bar on all pages except the front page. Looking in google it appears that the link is missing the has-logo class.

Do you know how I would be able to fix this please?

Thanks in advance

Duncan

Attachment Captura de pantalla 2017-03-24 a la(s) 20.47.28.png
In reply to Duncan Higgons

by Chris Kenniburg -

Can you send me the logo  or similarly sized image so I can test.  We don't use the logo so I never noticed an issue but I can take a look. 

Also, was this issue present in previous versions or just the new version?

In reply to Duncan Higgons

by Chris Kenniburg -

Actually, I think that is the desired display.  If you use a site logo then it appears in the header area on the homepage.  On the homepage the navbar logo is absent when a site logo is used.  Once you go into a course the logo moves to the banner area at the top and the header area logo is absent.

However, I did look at some of the functions for the logo on boost and some of the settings have changed in core.  I will update them for Fordson for the next release.  

The logo stuff is done here to the best of my knowledge:

https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_fordson/blob/master/classes/output/core_renderer.php#L216-L273

Specifically this says that if there is a logo then do not display a logo in the navbar at the top:

https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_fordson/blob/master/classes/output/core_renderer.php#L263-L273

by Stefan Roder -

Hi Chris

I have a strange problem after updating to moodle 3.2.2 and Fordson 1.3.0

I got a white screen and this debug info:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare navigation_custom_menu_item() (previously declared in /mysite/moodle/theme/fordson/lib/fordson_lib.php:301) in /mysite/moodle/local/navigation/lib.php on line 53

When I uninstall Fordson (better: delete the Fordson theme folder) and use Boost everything is fine.

Any idea what could cause this?

Best regards,

Stefan

In reply to Stefan Roder

by Chris Kenniburg -

Actually, I just re-read your issue and I know why.

In Fordson we just recently combined two plugins:  Custom Navigation (which you have installed) and Boost Navigation.  This will allow you to customize the Navigation Drawer by removing default items as well as adding new items.  We also added in controls for what pages these customizations take place in the theme via a toggle.  

What I will do for Fordson v1.3.1 (next release) is rename these functions in the fordson_lib file so that they do not cause issues.

Look for an update later today after I get back from lunch.

Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Stefan Roder -

Hi Chris

That did the trick - thank you for this superfast fix!

The only sad thing is that all my presets like colours and images are gone. Aren't they stored in the database?

Best regards from Germany,

Stefan

In reply to Stefan Roder

by Chris Kenniburg -

Not if you uninstall the theme.  It removes the database settings as well.  

The next version 1.3.1 will have this fix where even if you have the other plugins installed it will play nicely.  I also added in the "My Courses" drop-down in the main navigation bar.  

by Stefan Roder -

Actually that's what I thought - but I just removed the Fordson folder exactly in order to keep my former settings.

Haven't performed an uninstall process.

Nevertheless - I'm glad to have it back working again.

Cheers,

Stefan

by Chris Kenniburg -

Version 1.3.1 adds back the "My Courses" drop-down to the top navigation bar.  Settings are very similar to my Evolve-D theme and can be found in the Menu Settings tab of the Fordson's theme.

It also addresses a duplicate function issue as well as some default settings on install.  

As it was stated, this is a theme for K-12 (but can be useful for a lot of people).  In K-12 there is often an issue in large sites getting young kids from the Moodle homepage to their teacher's course page to enroll.  There are many steps in navigating and finding the proper course.  

In the very near future we are releasing an enrollment plugin which will allow you to get kids into courses/groups just like edmodo and google classroom with a 6 digit code.  (Our plugin will not use confusing number/letters such as " i  , 1 , or  l ")

We are trying to take this a step further and integrate a QR Code which when scanned will enroll you into a course.  We think a 7 year old scanning a paper and automatically being enrolled in a course would be very useful for our teachers!  Especially with all the ipads and chromebooks in classrooms.   Even parents might like a QR code in a newsletter.  More info on the enrollment plugin here:   https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=349802#p1411281

The new enrollment plugin will be detected by the Fordson theme and automatically display a VERY obvious form right on the homepage where the student can enter in the code and get into a class.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Chris Kenniburg -
There might be a delay in any releases for awhile we get a major new feature integrated into the Fordson theme.  We have an amazing developer named Sean who is writing a groundbreaking new enrollment plugin which is truly AMAZING!

The new plugin aptly named "Easy Enrollment" will work with auto-generated six digit codes that enroll a student instantly into a course or corresponding group.  But, Sean takes it a step further and just today got QR Codes working!!  

This is a major improvement for our staff and students at Dearborn Public Schools.  The speed in which students can go from the homepage to the learning materials should be cut in half.  

This has many practical uses outside of simply enrolling in a course.  We think that with a Moodle Activity that we will build you might be able to allow the student to create and automatically be enrolled into a personalized learning plan consisting of individual course/modules which focus on one skill or project instead of an entire semester of work.  The idea is simple.  Each answer in a form is associated with an enrollment key.  Once the student answers all the questions they are instantly enrolled in associated courses/modules based on their answers by sending an array of codes to our new plugin. 

Before we get ahead of ourselves here are some videos of the plugin in action.  

General Overview

Working QR Code reader and enrollment

The enrollment form will be tightly integrated with our Fordson Theme.  If Easy Enroll is present on the site it will make itself known on the Fordson homepage and allow students to use it.  If you do not use the Easy Enroll plugin then it will not be visible.  

by Rajam Naidu -
Hi,
This is a useful plugin, is there a possibility to generate code which can be used only once. i.e. after it enrolls one student the key is not usable by any other student.
Rajam
In reply to Rajam Naidu

by Chris Kenniburg -

The Easy Enrollment plugin is separate from the Fordson theme but they work well together.  

You cannot generate a code for each student.  I am sure someone with good coding skills someone might be able to make that happen but that is not a direction we want to take the plugin.  

by Huw Smith -

When using the collapsed topics format with Fordson an additional background colour is added along with a folder icon to each topic.

Any suggestion on how to remove this?

They don't appear when using the Boost theme, I've attached a screenshot.

In reply to Huw Smith

by Chris Kenniburg -

Here is probably your best option:

1. Update to latest version - This will remove colored background for topics

2. Drop in the code below - This will remove the topic icon 

To remove the folder icon you can just drop this in the custom SCSS textbox at the bottom of the Color Tab of Fordson Admin page:

h3.sectionname:before { content: none; margin-right: 0px; }

To do this the hard way:

Inside fordson/scss/preset/default.scss you will want to remove the following:

This will remove the folder icon.  

https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_fordson/blob/master/scss/preset/default.scss#L250-L259

Also, the more updated version of Fordson doesn't have the topic background color.  For this you will want to remove these.  As you can see we moved away from including this as a default in the latest versions.  

https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_fordson/blob/master/scss/preset/default.scss#L274-L278

Hope that helps,

Chris

by Huw Smith -

Thanks for the quick reply Chris. We were already using the latest version so h3.sectionname was already commented out. I think the problem was the preset was set to Default X, changing to default removed the background colour and folder icon.

I've attached another screenshot as now there is a line appearing under each section and a number to the left of the section. Can these be removed?

In reply to Huw Smith

by Chris Kenniburg -

The issue is here: https://github.com/kennibc/moodle-theme_fordson/blob/master/scss/preset/default.scss#L280-L282

Just drop this in the SCSS textbox at the bottom of the color tab:

.course-content ul li.section.main { border-bottom: none; }

by j s -

Hi. Sorry if I'm posting this at the wrong section. Just a quick question...

For the Icon Navigation in the new Fordson Theme, is there a way that it can be seen/shown on the Dashboard as well or does it only appear on the Front page? It is a really nice setup and would be nice to have the option (option to have it or not cause we may not want it sometimes) to have it appear in the DASHBOARD as well if that is the landing page when users sign in. 

Thank you very much!

I really love the new update and the theme itself is sooo wonderful. Thank you...

In reply to j s

by Chris Kenniburg -

Hello JS,

In Moodle 3.3 they are supposed to have a more useful course overview block.  We intentionally left the dashboard alone to leave it for the learner to customize.  Having all that stuff on the dashboard was tried in our Pioneer theme and we ended up making it too cluttered.

I'm looking to add a "back to top" button for courses.   Further enhancements will focus on styles and presets.  

Our big goal is the new Easy Enrollment plugin Integration and new course format development.  

http://www.moodlenews.com/2017/get-an-early-taste-of-this-moodle-enrollment-time-saver/

Thank you for your kind words and if you have any other suggestions please do share!

Chris

by Derek Chirnside -

Is this the right thread to post in, I'm asking about Fordson 3.3

I'm playing catchup with developments in this wonderful theme.  We can upgrade to 3.3 next week, and I'm just trying to get clear on the new features of Fordson. 

A few questions.  From the diagram below.  Done a bit of searching, but I still am unclear.

1. I thought these items were able to be removed with a setting somewhere.  Is this true or not?
  2. Is there a setting to reduce this space?
  3. The course management tab.  I assume this in replacing "This course".  Are there any other options of where to put it?
  4. I used to use Course Menu.  https://moodle.org/plugins/block_course_menu.
    I'd like to try with just the Boost drawer.  However, the menu items are spread out quite a lot, and if I have more than seven sections the bottom ones are off the bottom of the page.  Is there a simple way to cramp up the boost menu items, and yes I do know this breaks the nice spacious look.  cool  Just thinking.
  5. THE AIM OF ALL THIS.  
    Two things:  see the yellow bounded area - I'd like to reduce as much as possible the height of the material at the top of the page to have as much of the page as possible for the content.  
    Also the Drawer section navigation: I'd like as simple and uncluttered section navigation in the drawer.

That's it for now as far as my questions go!!

Other random stuff

I'm using the Atto snippets to get some nice tabs.  

I have not quite sorted out if I want background images yet in Fordson.  

I'm assuming (Below)I can get the tiles to align with increasing/decreasing the text length:

Little things:  I like the dropdown in the home page icon menu. "Slider toggle" will be a "start here" link.  

Also nice having a built in "Site message" - I will style this to stand out a little more maybe.

Really like the "Course Management" tab.  Next thing to do: check the student course view a bit more.

Well done and thanks Chris and Dearborne team!!

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Chris Kenniburg -

1) Look in Menu Page of Fordson - Customize the Nav Drawer section.

2)  Add to custom CSS box in Fordson and adjust 6rem to whatever you'd like:  @media screen and (min-width: 992px) #page.container-fluid {padding: 0 6rem!important;}

3) Not unless you customize it on your own. 

4) Not quite sure but anything is possible if you look at the CSS and find where it is getting padding our margins to space it out so much.

5) I think you can minimize the space used at the top.  There is a drop down called "Learning Content Spacing" on the Custom Content Tab.  It controls the spacing between the top of the page and where the course title appears.

by Jesse H -

Just a quick thought, I'm in the process of customising the colours of this theme. It would be great if there was a diagram showing exactly what part of the theme each colour selector effects. Even just in a set of screenshots with arrows or something.

Customising the colours is quite hit and miss right now, takes a long time.

Thanks for all your great work!

In reply to Jesse H

by Chris Kenniburg -

Yeah, in the past it was pretty straightforward but now with the presets sometimes you re-use a variable like $card-bg or something else in the Preset to pull off a look.  

I'd agree that the theme needs better descriptions and probably better names to distinguish what parts of the theme the color choosers will affect. I will try to get it into the next release.

Fordson v1.4.5

by Ricardo Caiado -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Trying to upgrade to "v1.4.5" from "v.1.4.4" I got this error message:

----------------
Downloading theme_fordson ... OK
Validating theme_fordson ... Error
[Error] Extracted file not found [{"file":"fordson\/style\/"}]
Installation aborted due to validation failure
----------------

Moodle 3.2.3+
In reply to Ricardo Caiado

Re: Fordson v1.4.5

by Chris Kenniburg -

Now that is weird because I have a style folder and it is being used for Fordson on the version 3.2 for font-awesome. 

I wonder what is going on here? 

by Ricardo Caiado -
After turning on debugging I got more info:

-> /tmp/core_plugin/code_manager/distfiles/652c3de3c82ea075ca13243b2f2c1a7c.zip ... OK
Validating theme_fordson ... Error
[Error] Extracted file not found [{"file":"fordson\/style\/"}]
Installation aborted due to validation failure

"...theme_fordson_moodle33_2017051000.zip..."

Moodle33 ??

by Chris Kenniburg -

David M replied this could be an issue of how the plugin repository works and the fact I published the theme with the same Fordson version # even though it is marked as being for separate Moodle versions. It causes a problem in the repository.  

I've updated the Fordson Moodle 3.3 version and made it a different, higher plugin version #.  Let's see if the repository fixes the issue of serving the wrong file.

Chris

by Ricardo Caiado -
100%

by Chris Kenniburg -

Ricardo,

Thanks for reporting back!  I will make sure to keep the version numbers different moving forward so this doesn't happen again.  

Glad it worked out for you.  

Any suggestions or feedback as we move forward?  Have your teachers reported back on the new Course Management Panel?

Thanks,

Chris

by Chris Kenniburg -

Ricardo,

Can you follow and post to this forum thread since you are having the same issue:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=352199#p1421201

Thanks,

Chris

by Naaman Fallouh -

I'd updated the theme to the version 1.4.4. and I've got he following error:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$toggledrawermenu in /var/www/moodletest/theme/fordson/layout/columns2.php on line 54

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$courseeditingcog in /var/www/moodletest/theme/fordson/classes/output/core_renderer.php on line 610

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$coursemanagementtoggle in /var/www/moodletest/theme/fordson/classes/output/core_renderer.php on line 619
Invalid get_string() identifier: 'header_coursecodes' or component 'enrol_easy'. Perhaps you are missing $string['header_coursecodes'] = ''; in /lang/en/enrol_easy.php?

line 349 of /lib/classes/string_manager_standard.php: call to debugging()
    line 7087 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to core_string_manager_standard->get_string()
    line 632 of /theme/fordson/classes/output/core_renderer.php: call to get_string()
    line 219 of /lib/mustache/src/Mustache/Context.php: call to theme_fordson\output\core_renderer->teacherdash()
    line 138 of /lib/mustache/src/Mustache/Context.php: call to Mustache_Context->findVariableInStack()
    line 80 of /var/lib/moodletest/localcache/mustache/1494942004/fordson/__Mustache_bcb01fee25ab6e19bc04ac765809de3a.php: call to Mustache_Context->findDot()
    line 68 of /lib/mustache/src/Mustache/Template.php: call to __Mustache_bcb01fee25ab6e19bc04ac765809de3a->renderInternal()
    line 172 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to Mustache_Template->render()
    line 60 of /theme/fordson/layout/columns2.php: call to renderer_base->render_from_template()
    line 1110 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
    line 1040 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
    line 51 of /theme/index.php: call to core_renderer->header()

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$coursemanagementtoggle in /var/www/moodletest/theme/fordson/classes/output/core_renderer.php on line 70

Any help?

In reply to Naaman Fallouh

by Chris Kenniburg -

Yes.  Please update to Version 1.4.5 as this is the latest release.  We realized there was some issues as we worked to integrate the course management slider as well as the Easy Enrollment plugin stuff.

I believe this has been corrected in 1.4.5.

by Chris Kenniburg -

Actually, hold off.  I did see an issue for Easy Enrollment when you have it installed but are not using it on a particular course.  I just identified the issue and will put a check in place and then include this in the Fordson 1.4.6 release for Moodle 3.2.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Chris, what is the chance of getting you to add an enrollment cutoff for the easy enrollment plugin?  Really need to be able to set max number of students for a class...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chris Kenniburg -

I can ask our developer if he can implement it.  That might be a nice feature to have!

We are ramping up for major work during the summer.  It is our busiest time.  Our drop date for upgrading to Moodle 33 is June 19th.  Full steam ahead. 

We can put this on the short list of future updates.  Will probably be able to implement this over the summer and be ready for September.

Chris

by Derek Chaplin -

First, love the theme and the quick updates - it is now my default theme.

A few requests for enhancement:

1. Re-instate a visible progress bar (like Boost) when uploading plugins in the Install plugin screen. Currently the file name text changes color but it is so subtle it's hard to know if the file has been uploaded successfully.
  2. Have the option to show only icons in the footer area for website and email
  3. Add hypertext links to icons and text in footer area
  4. Add option to have per category font awesome icons
  5. Add option to have a logo image in the nav bar at the top of the page

Thanks again for this great theme!

Derek

In reply to Derek Chaplin

by Chris Kenniburg -

Derek,

1.  I am not sure why the progress bar would not show.  I don't think I changed anything to affect that.  I will look into it this week.
  2.  You could use only social icons and use the website option and a custom icon for email.  That would be just icons.
  3.  I thought of making it a link but think it is simpler this way.
  4.  For consistency for our students we chose not to do so.  They have one icon that they associate with a folder to open and see more courses.
  5.  If you upload a logo in the logo area of Appearance (outside of Fordson theme settings) it will use the small logo in the top navigation bar.

Glad you enjoy the theme!  We might take another look at the website and email to possibly add hyperlinks.

by Vladislav Skvortsov -

Hi Chris,

Thanks for creating theme.

I have some suggestions:

1) Make an option for Navigation Drawer to appear like this on all screen sizes:

It will be useful for those who don't use it often. For now i am using SCSS option "body.drawer-open-left { margin-left: 0px;}".

2) Fix CSS problem in section-0 on course page when it doesn't have any activities and edit mode is turned on:

Thanks again.

markettiles and courses box entirely clickable

by Francois Parlant -
Hi,

My users tend to directly click on a tile, on the picture.
Finding the clickable part of the course tile (text or bottom link) seems less an less part of the common UX.

Is there a way to catch the details of the template {{{button}}} to put it around the divs of the tile?
(especially the url, of course)

I created the issue in github, for you to tag as enhancement request.

Thank you for your help and for this very nice theme.

Regards

François
In reply to Francois Parlant

Re: markettiles and courses box entirely clickable

by Chris Kenniburg -

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am looking into this.

by Huw Smith -

When uploading a file to restore a course via drag and drop there is no progress bar so users are clicking on the restore button before the file has completed uploading.
The only way to tell the file has finished uploading is that the .mbz appears at the end of the file name and it is underlined.

Is it possible to display a progress bar?

Am using Moodle 3.3+ (Build: 20170519) and Fordson v1.5.6 (2017080200)

In reply to Huw Smith

by Chris Kenniburg -

I'd have to compare this against the default behavior of Boost.  Does Boost show a progress bar?

by Huw Smith -

Sorry for the delayed response. Boost does not show a progress bar.

In reply to Huw Smith

by Chris Kenniburg -

Fordson follows Boost, so if the behavior is not present in Boost it will not be in Fordson either.  

by Stephen Livesey -

Hello,

Any idea why generico templates might not work in the special slide icon section on the front page? (Screenshot below) I was trying to add the pie chart template to this section (it works on other pages fine) but I can't see the chart:

pie

Moodle Version 3.3.2+ (Build: 20170922)

Fordson Version 1.5.8 (2017092500)

Cheers

Stephen

In reply to Stephen Livesey

by Chris Kenniburg -

Not quite sure why.  I don't use the generico plugin.  Do other elements of the generico plugin work on the homepage text slidedown?

by Stephen Livesey -

Hi Chris,

The welcome user element works but not the accordian or line chart. All of the elements work outside of the homepage text slidedown. 

I'm getting the following errors when I inspect the page if this helps?

error

Cheers

Stephen

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Stephen,

I liked to use the Generico filter in Moodle 3.2 or lower versions but I faced similar difficulties with Generico in Moodle 3.3. Some filter settings seem not to be compatible with Boost or Boost related themes. When you post your experience in Github at moodle_filter_generico, you will receive help from Justin Hunt. He fixed toggle for Moodle 3.3 some time ago.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Chris,

Just killing time in the middle of the night while I update from Win7 to Win10 on my PC.

Just wanted to say what a great job you have done with latest updates to Fordson.

The only critisism I have at the moment, is that I do not think 'COVER' is the right setting for the background-size of both the Course image in the course list, and also the background image of the theme itself. I would have thought that background-size: contain; whould have been better as this would allow the image to resize to its suroundings?

Apollogies if there is a setting for these images, as I am still playing with the theme so have not looked yet, as I just needed to vouce my thoughts before I forget...as I am getting a littler forgetful these days!

Cheers and thanks again,

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Kenniburg -

Thank You!  

If I use contain will it fill the entire div?  We want it to cover or fill the entire area whether it be just at the top or if you use the other present the whole background of the page.  I've had weird results with contain and how it tries to maintain aspect ratio.  

Thoughts?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Chris,

I did not explain my self well. What I was meaning is that although COVER works OK in the page header background most of the time, it is not so in the Available courses list in the frontpage.

This is what I was meaning...

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Both contain and cover will alter the size of the image in relation to the space available (screen size, etc), but neither alter the aspect ratio

contain will ensure the whole image is shown, but could leave uncovered space (effectively stretches/matches to the largest dimension)

cover ensures the entire space is covered, but you could lose part of the image (effectively stretches/matches to the smallest dimension)

From https://www.w3schools.com/csSref/css3_pr_background-size.asp

cover Scale the background image to be as large as possible so that the background area is completely covered by the background image. Some parts of the background image may not be in view within the background positioning area
contain Scale the image to the largest size such that both its width and its height can fit inside the content area

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Evans -

Hi Chris,

Following on with what Richard has said, I think the problem with both Cover and Contain is that neither are what one might call the best solution as they both have their own quirks. Here is a link to a more visual example of what Richard has posted above.

My sentiment is that if you want an image to sit relatively comfortably in a given space then you need to specify the dimensions for that image.

Also, I noticed that inline styles are being applied directly to the header.  Why is that, as this is considered bad practice, and frowned upon in certain circles?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Kenniburg -

I'd have to take a look.  The header was done relatively early on in the theme development so I'd have to dive in and take a closer look as to the why we did that.

In scss_lib.php I think we used styles for many of the images.   I also noticed it for the function that grabs the course summary file to use as a background.  

I'll have to look again but I cannot remember if there was a specific reason for doing this such as the images didn't get the style applied properly otherwise?  Just not sure as to the why.  Maybe for a future update I move this into a preset if there is no issue with it. 

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Chris,

I think it comes from here (if this is what Mary is referring to) in the core_renderer.php function:

$html .= html_writer::start_div('withimage', array(
                'style' => 'background-image: url("'.$courseimage.'"); background-size: cover; background-position:center;
                width: 100%; height: 100%;'));

From when you and I first worked on these course header images in flexibase and Pioneer.

The background-image: url needs to be an inline style because it comes from a variable generated in the php getting the file and determining if it is an image), although the background-size, background-position, width and height could all be moved to scss/css very easily.

Hope that helps smile

PS - currently enjoying Canada/Niagara Falls, so only able to look briefly at the code rather than investigate properly with it installed on a working Moodle smile

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Chris Kenniburg -

You are spot on!  I did see that and I plan on doing a code-cleanup as best I can once things slow down.  

Richard, Float on up to Lake Erie and you will be by my house.  I live right where the Detroit River meets Lake Erie.  

https://goo.gl/maps/D7JcB2M5K282

So much fun living in Michigan.  We have so much fishing, hunting, hiking, outdoors... and craft beer.    

Maybe the theme would be better if I wasn't spending all my spare time camping!  Another trip this weekend.

Sorting 'My Courses'

by Stephen Livesey -

Hello,

Is it possible to change the order in which courses appear in the 'My Courses' dropdown menu in the horizontal nav bar? At the moment courses appear to be listed in alphabetical order but I'd like them to be ordered chronologically by their start date (most recent at the top).

Cheers

Stephen

Re: Sorting 'My Courses'

by Chris Kenniburg -

Not currently but anything is possible when hacking the code.  We are considering that as a possibility.  We are also intrigued by making it dynamic where it will show the last 5 or 10 sites you visited.  So it would be the "Most Recent Courses" menu.  Waiting to see how that might impact navigation and functionality.  

A "sort by" option might be nice for future but we are happy with alpha currently.  

by Stephen Livesey -

Thanks Chris, 

I'm asking a developer to take a look and will be happy to share any amendments on here if it's helpful.

Cheers

Stephen

by Kevin Wiliarty -

In case it's of interest, the Filtered Course List (Block) plugin allows you to choose a primary and secondary sort principle, including course start date. 

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_filtered_course_list

In reply to Kevin Wiliarty

by Stephen Livesey -

Thanks Kevin, the functionality looks great but we're trying to move away from blocks. 

Cheers

Stephen

by Abhinav Dayal -

Hi,

Thanks for the wonderful and very practical theme for Moodle. We have been using it at (vishnulearning.in). However, while using the site from mobile devices, the theme still maintains the padding for the container, reducing the real estate and thus constricting the user interface. To alleviate this, I have to modify the styles.scss file with following changes (see the updated file attached)

@media screen and (max-width: 976px) {

div#coursecontrols {

position: initial;

}

div#coursecontrols {

border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0px;

}

.enrollcodebutton {

display:none;

}

div#learningcontent {

margin-top:0!important;

-webkit-box-shadow:none!important;

box-shadow:none!important;

border:none!important

}

.navbar-light {

border-bottom:none!important;

}

#page.container-fluid {

padding:0!important;

}

#page .default {

background:none!important;

}

.path-mod-attendance .takecontrols {

width:100%!important;

}

}

by Abhinav Dayal -

Hi,

Thanks for the wonderful and very practical theme for Moodle. We have been using it at (vishnulearning.in). However, while using the site from mobile devices, the theme still maintains the padding for the container, reducing the real estate and thus constricting the user interface. To alleviate this, I have to modify the styles.scss file with following changes (see the updated file attached)

@media screen and (max-width: 976px) {

div#coursecontrols {

position: initial;

}

div#coursecontrols {

border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0px;

}

.enrollcodebutton {

display:none;

}

div#learningcontent {

margin-top:0!important;