Student Quiz Navigation block

Student Quiz Navigation block

by Liz Williams -
Number of replies: 16
Hello,

I am new to moodle and am having some difficulty.  We are using version 3.2 and I have the quiz plug in.  My difficulty is getting the Navigation block to appear on the students device while the student is actually taking the quiz.  The only things that are appearing are the quiz number (with flag info) and question.  I cannot get the block to appear to allow the student to easily go back to or jump to questions.

My gut tells me I am missing a setting somewhere but I can't find it.  Is it a quiz setting or an overall setting?

Any help would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Liz Williams

Re: Student Quiz Navigation block

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You say "on the students' device" . Are you using the mobile app or are you using the web version of Moodle on a small screen? What theme? Is it possible the quiz navigation block is at the bottom of the screen?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Liz Williams -

Thank you for getting back to me so quick! 

The students will be using iPads however I can't get the block to appear on a desktop nor an iPad.

I have tried both the boost theme and the clean theme to see if that had anything to do with it.

As of right now the navigation for the student is not appearing anywhere.

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

In reply to Liz Williams

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Liz. I just took this screenshot of a student doing a quiz on an ipad mini. The theme is Boost (with a different colour but still Boost) and the browser is Safari. I can try with Chrome too if you want. As you see, the navigation block is visible at the bottom of the screen. Can you take a screenshot of what you are (or are not!) seeing on your site?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Liz Williams -

This is what is on my entire screen.  Nothing to the left or right, top or bottom.

Attachment moodle issue.png
In reply to Liz Williams

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is this just during the quiz?  Do you have the quiz set to show without blocks?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mary Cooch -
When you took that screenshot, which theme were you using? I did try various settings to see if I could replicate your problem (no blocks, safe browser screen)but I cannot replicate it. Do you know if you have any customisations to your site that have perhaps removed this block? And do you have the problem with all the quizzes on your site? Do other blocks work well?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frank Koch -
Picture of Plugin developers

I do not see an advantage in having the quiz navigation block at the bottom of the mobile screen, because you have to scroll down in order to see it. Would it be possible to position it at the top as well?

Also, the new Boost quiz navigation indicates all questions in grey. Before Boost it was a much more explicit traffic light colouring.  Is there any chance to get back green, red, yellow under Boost?

In reply to Frank Koch

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes. in the OU Moodle theme, we did a lot of work on the resonsive design of modules that really need block for key UI (basically Quiz and our equivalent of the Book module.)

You can see an early version here:

(Hmm. Moodle YouTube filter loses the bit that was meant to make that start palying at 9:45.)

And, here is a up-to-date screen-grab with the final look:

Quiz desktop layout

Mobile, nav hidden:

Mobile, nav expanded:

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Frank Koch -
Picture of Plugin developers

Thank you for the answer Tim. I like how you converted the quiz navigation in the OU theme. But this theme is proprietary I assume, and I understand that the positioning and coluring of the quiz navigation (similar TOC in books) in Boost cannot be changed without changing the theme.

In reply to Frank Koch

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry, I was not clear. Although our particualr theme is propriatory, the reason I was sharing what we had done was because I thought it might show what was possible, and someone might want to use the general idea, to do something equally good that works for Boost, and themes derived  from it.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Diane D'Alba -

I have the quiz navigation bar in altitude theme but the student's navigation is greyed out and they are not able to navigate between questions or keep track of those answered?

Attachment quiz.JPG
In reply to Diane D'Alba

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not the expert on this, but your screen shot made me wonder what theme you are using?  Also thought that I am not seeing question icons, which might need you to purge your moodle cache.  (I could be off base, but just some thoughts.)

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Diane D'Alba -

Dear Rick,

Thank you, how do I purge my Moodle cache?

Diane

In reply to Diane D'Alba

by Rick Jerz -

Go to Site administration/Development/Purge all caches 

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Diane D'Alba -

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.  it did not change anything but I did learn something new. 

Diane

In reply to Diane D'Alba

by Rick Jerz -

Try switching themes.  For example, try More or Clean.