"what hardware do I need for 500 user?"

"what hardware do I need for 500 user?"

by Davis Parni -
Number of replies: 5

Hello ,

I installed a moodle server by exactly following the URL: https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Step-by-step_Installation_Guide_for_Ubuntu

with the following characteristics:

1 - Hardware: CPU i5 and Hard disk: 100GB and RAM: 4GB

2 - software: ubuntu server 16.04.1 LTS and Apache 2 and PHP 7 and Mysql

Please, knowing that the number of users who will connect to the server are between 200 and 500 users; That it is the ideal hardware configuration (CPU, RAM, Hard disk ...) so that it connects in a correct way

Thank

cordially

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Davis Parni

Re: "what hardware do I need for 500 user?"

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Think the best one could expect is  a ball-park ... yes,maybe,no ... due to the information not shared so far.   Example: are these between 200 and 500 users going to use Moodle asynchronously or synchronously.  Brief explanation ... synchronously - the 200-500 users will be required to connect and use the moodle at scheduled times ... like a college class that might meed M-F - 9AM to 10AM every day.

How that affects config ... the DB server would need to be able to allow up to 501 connections - default is 151.

That being said and aside, since you are just now beginning, there is one way you can test with any senario you like ... a test server with the same specs ... no tweaks to php, mySQL, Apache, etc. and you install a 3.2.highest on it.   Bullt into Moodle code is a thing call jmeter testing.  Should not be used on a production server.  Via Jmeter setup one can choose the number of students desired and via a jmeter test have X number of students run through a course that Jmeter builds for you X number of times.   A stress test.     You could begin that test with your 500 number and see for yourself. ;)   Again ... do not use on a server you plan to use for production.

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/JMeter

This does not require the purchase of another physical machine, BTW ... one could setup a Google Compute Engine with the specs you've mentioned ... setup a Moodle 3.2 on it ... run JMeter testing there.   When done, simply remove the GCE instance.   GCE is based upon usage and one gets a $200-300 'credit' to begin with.  You could do your testing for free.

https://cloud.google.com/compute/

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Davis Parni

by Adam Jenkins -
Picture of Plugin developers

How many of your users will be logging in at the same time?

How much disk space is free of the 100gb?

It's a small server, but as long as you're not trying to get everyone online at the exact same time, it could well be strong enough... 

In reply to Adam Jenkins

by Davis Parni -

Hi Gentlemen,

100 users will connect at the same time

I have 85GB  of free space 

thank you in advance

In reply to Davis Parni

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

When we talk about 'concurrent users' we mean users connecting within the space of a few seconds. Users logged in at the same time don't matter

The worst thing you can do is to (for example) start a quiz for all your 100 users at exactly the same time. If you did that your hardware would not be enough. 

I would suggest getting more RAM if you can. To be safe!  But the only way you will know is to try. Make sure you are running something like munin so you can monitor resource usage on the system.