How to grade an enrolled student in forums.

How to grade an enrolled student in forums.

by Krishnan Iyer -
Number of replies: 6

I was trying to grade a student based on his involvement in the forums but couldn't find any relevant docs on it. Also like in Assignment there's a direct link to grade but in forums I couldn't find any feature like this. It would be great if someone can give instructions to grade in forums smile.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Krishnan Iyer

Re: How to grade an enrolled student in forums.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you want to grade - or "rate" a student in a forum then you must first enable ratings in the forum and choose the scale you wish to use. See the section on Grading and Ratings in the Forum settings documentation.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Krishnan Iyer -

Thanks Mary, I figured out to rate but few points I want conclude.

• There should be a link to view the "grade book" in the forum page(just like assignments).
  • As I mentioned earlier there should be a direct link to grade or rate in forums as of now I  viewed the grade book and edited the forum section and made a tick on "override" and saved.
  • I also think each reply should be evaluated and been calculated for the total grade.

Please tell me your view on these points.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

• Well, traditionally forums aren't normally graded -they are there to encourage discussion and debate. However, as you have seen, you can set up ratings, but by default the forum doesn't have a direct link to the gradebook in the same way as assignments which have to be graded.
  • As for each reply being evaluated and calculated for the total grade, I presume you have seen the various aggregation options in Ratings ?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Krishnan Iyer -

Yeah I have seen it but still I think it rates on overall replies by a particular enrolled student.

Thanks Mary for answering to my queries smile

by Mary Cooch -

Actually, there is a proposal in the Moodle Users Association for having Advanced grading in Forums  - it will be interesting to follow the progress of that: https://moodleassociation.org/mod/page/view.php?id=481

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Krishnan Iyer -

I have been applying for "Advanced grading in Forums" as my GSoC project this year. If get selected, will  be happy to add these little things into that smile. And of course I will follow that, thanks for the pointer smile.