Recent Activity Block

Recent Activity Block

by Jeff Oldham -
Number of replies: 3

I could not find which version of Moodle we are in.  There is no >Notifications area on my main page.  

Here is my issue summary and inquiry:  I work for TTUISD, so we have 70 different teachers and hundreds of courses in Moodle.  I recently discovered the Recent Activity Block. What we found is that the Block will display any recent activity from students as long as I have admin permissions and/or the course is a newer course (brought up in the last 8 to 10 months).  Here is the problem:  if the student is in an older course and the teacher does NOT have admin permissions, then the teacher can only view student activity for computer graded assignments.  I have attached screenshots:  1) French Course with Admin view - I can see all of the students submitted assignments 2) Teacher view - I can not view all of the students submitted assignments.

Inquiry:  How can we change the course settings for our older courses, without giving the teachers admin permissions, so that they can get a full view of each student's activity in the Recent Activity Block?

Thank you - Jeff

Attachment Admin view.jpg
Attachment Teacher View.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Oldham

Re: Recent Activity Block

by RTR Admin -

Notifications are found in the Site Administration area. If for some reason there isn't a Notifications area, there are multiple other places where the Moodle version is displayed. Site Administration -> Server -> Environment is another. Let me know how it goes.

In reply to RTR Admin

by Jeff Oldham -

The TTUISD version of Moodle is 2.8.7.

Will somebody be able to answer my question regarding the Recnet Activity block in the original post?

Thank you-

Jeff Oldham

In reply to Jeff Oldham

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

There was a change to Assignment module somewhere back around 2.2 -> 2.3 and beyond?  (don't re-call now it's been so long ago).   There is an Assign Assignment module (the newer) and the old Assignment (2.2).   Check your Site Admin menu for a 'Assignment Upgrade Helper' at the bottom of the site admin menu.

Click it ... convert any assignments it list as old to the new.   If there are bunches of them, might want to select fewer number to convert at one time - lots of processing going on there.

IF all old assignments convert upwards ok, then disable the Assignment 2.2 you see in

site Admin -> Plugins -> Activity Modules -> Manage Activities.

Teachers/Couse Designers will no longer have an Assignment 2.2 option in the creation of an Assignment (ie, the older version).  That might then fix the issue.

As is always a good practice, suggest making a code and DB backup of the site before doing anything/something that's system wide (just in case)

'spirit of sharing', Ken