Date Format on signup page - Can I change it?

Date Format on signup page - Can I change it?

by Zhivko Z -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

Is it possible to change the date format on the signup page?

Users in the USA are used to the mm/dd/yyyy format so often times they enter wrong dates using the current format. For example if they have to enter 15 August 1999 - they enter 08 August 1999 (used the first field to be the month, and then not realizing they entered the month twice)...

It would be great if I can switch the fields and put the month first.

Thanks!

Moodle 3.1.2

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zhivko Z

Re: Date Format on signup page - Can I change it?

by Just H -
What language pack are you using? Can't say I've ever tried (given I'm not in the States) but I would have thought the US English language pack should change the date format too ... if not, could be worth raising an enhancement request.
In reply to Just H

by Zhivko Z -

I'm using just English Language pack (didn't know there is a US English pack)...

Can someone confirm that the US English pack has the date format - month/date/year?

Also, I have made many language customizations on the current language pack. I have made several modifications and customizations on the site itself as well.

If I change the language pack - how would that effect the current modifications and customizations?

• Would I have to do all the language customizations again?
  • Could that have a negative effect on the other customizations and custom plugins?

Thank you!

In reply to Zhivko Z

by Zhivko Z -

I tried changing the language pack to English USA. No result - date format looks the same...

Has anybody dealt with this? Any other ideas?

Thanks

In reply to Zhivko Z

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Clear caches.  The US language pack should fix that.  If not do a language override for that page.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Zhivko Z -

Thank you Emma.

I purged all cashes, and it didn't fix it. The date format is still Day/Month/Year.

Do I need to change something else on the Language Settings page (attached image)?

What is a language override of a page? How do I do it?

I appreciate your help!

Attachment Date Format.PNG
Attachment Language settings.PNG
In reply to Zhivko Z

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh, those are separate drop down boxes and use the month written out - as an AngloAmerican wink what exactly is confusing about that?  I thought you were trying to switch a date that was in the 00/00/0000 format which can be confusing.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Zhivko Z -

I get many wrong dates from USA students with this format.

Users in the USA are used to the mm/dd/yyyy format so often times they enter wrong dates.

For example if they have to enter 15 August 1999 - they enter 08 August 1999 (used the first field to be the month, and then not realizing they entered the month twice)...

It would be great if I can switch the fields and put the month first. But... is that even possible?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Zhivko Z

by Emma Richardson -

That is pretty sad!  I am used to the US date but can't really imagine getting the date wrong in that format.  

I think that you might have to hack the code and switch the position of the boxes or that might even be pulling from a yui calendar entry somewhere.  You might try posting in the themes forum - somewhere there might be able to help.