New audio player bar in MoodleCloud

New audio player bar in MoodleCloud

by Nelly Asmatullayeva -
Number of replies: 8

Dear all,

In my MoodleCloud language course, I have created a number of exercises to match audio and text. They all worked fine until December last year. In January the audio player bar changed everywhere throughout the course, it became big and positioned in the centre of the screen. It is not very convenient for my course, as it interrupts the text in some places, but I would not bother you if it didn’t interfere with the exercises that I made last year. In particular, matching exercises with audio and text do not work. As seen in the screenshot below, there are only audio player bars and no text visible. I am upset, because I have quite a few of those exercises in my course. Could you please advise how I can fix it? 

Thank you in advance.

Nelly Asmatullayeva

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nelly Asmatullayeva

Re: New audio player bar in MoodleCloud

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Nelly. I am going to move your question to the General helpforum because I am not sure it is just an issue with MoodleCloud. All upgraded Moodle sites got a new player in December - VideoJS player -which is meant to be better and fit more files, so we need to find out what is not working with yours. Could you say the type of question you are using and how did you embed the sound files before? And are they mp3 files?

In reply to Mary Cooch

Matching questions not working with new audio player

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello again Nelly! This is my second reply to you. I went and tested myself and I found the same as you - the text goes if you add audio files in a matching question. You might have found a bug. I am going to move your question into the dedicated Quiz forum and do more investigations myself. I am also going to rename your question to make it clearer.

So here is a matching question in editing format:

You see there are indeed text answers. Here is the question as a student would see it:

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Matching questions not working with new audio player

by Mary Cooch -

And here is my third reply to you Nelly smile

If you go to Site administration> Plugins and then to Manage media players, if you turn off VideoJS by clicking its eye to close it and then if you turn on HTML audio by clicking its eye to open it - then the matching questions wil work. Here is a screenshot. BUT.. I cannot guarantee what will happen to any videos or other file types you might have on your site. We need to wait for a more expert opinion on this.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nelly Asmatullayeva -

Dear Mary,

Thank you very much for your help, but now I have another problem.

I have turned off VideoJS and the matching questions do work now, but audio player bars in all other activities overlap the text. Here is the screenshort. 

by Nelly Asmatullayeva -

Hi again Mary,

The problem of HTML audio player overlaping text is actual for Google Chrome, but everything works fine in Mozilla Firefox. However, if I turn on VideoJS, the bug with matching questions repeats in Mozilla too. Anyway, your advice was very helpful and I will tell my students to use Mozilla until the bug is fixed.

I have noticed another thing. When in editing mode I click on the link to the mp3 file and then on the Media icon on the tools panel, it does not show the information about the file, though it used to do so last year, as far as I remember, like when I click on the picture and then on the Image tool, it will show the information about the file. It's just a comment.

Thank you again for your help. 

Nelly

P.S. I really enjoyed your Learn Moodle course last year smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

We've done some testing with audio files also in the past, and the look of the player depends on the browser being used. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari will all look a bit different, so you can't rely on the audio player bar being the same width, height or having the same icons across all students.

In reply to Mathew Gancarz

by Mary Cooch -

Thanks Matthew. You would expect the text to display along with the VideoJS player, though I think? Let's see if others have comments too and then perhaps a tracker report should be created, if one hasn't already.