Does Anything Match Moodle's Quiz Module?

Does Anything Match Moodle's Quiz Module?

by John Rodgers -
Number of replies: 4

I have started delivering courses with an upgrade 3.1 version of moodle, and I have to say I am very impressed with the improvements and enhancements to the quiz module. I have gained a much greater appreciation for the importance of feedback and timing, both of which are now configurable in a variety of useful ways.

I often browse the other quiz tools or investigate quiz tools inside other LMS offerings (as much as possible) and there only seems to be a fraction of the options. I would like to know if I can make the assertion that the Moodle quiz module is definitively leading edge. Does anyone have a robust experience with other quiz/question tools?

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to John Rodgers

Re: Does Anything Match Moodle's Quiz Module?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Stand back everybody, I can answer this one....

Nothing comes remotely close to the breadth, depth and sophistication of the Moodle quiz engine.  Now what's my background for saying this...

I have been investigating and tracking quizzing technologies since before Moodle was created. There are many tools that cover some of the areas that Moodle covers, and there are tools that may cover niche areas in more depth, and there are tools that create prettier quizzes, but nothing that has the breadth and depth of Moodle, particularly if you count in wide range of plugins available.

If Maths is your subject there is an interesting book by Chris Sangwyn that covers both the Moodle STACK maths question type plugin and a history of some of the alternatives.

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to John Rodgers

by ben reynolds -

Marcus is correct.

But also, I twice sat on my uni's committee to choose *one* LMS in the 2000's. There are a lot of matrix comparisons of LMS's out there. We made one ourselves, and what I discovered is that modules have different names in different LMS's. So, most of the claims that LMS A doesn't have a particular module are really failures to know the names or to know a different LMS than the one an individual is working in.

That said, Marcus is still correct.

In reply to John Rodgers

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I have used Blackboard, D2l, and Canvas.  None of these can compete with Moodle.

It is not just about "how many question types."  It is about the overall quiz engine.  For example, I have yet to discover how Canvas manages question banks.  It seems to lack this feature.  And Canvas cannot easily import questions from the variety of ways Moodle can.  For some of these products, you cannot correct a question after the quiz has been released (M/C, T/F), but one can in Moodle.  And some products, like Blackboard, when it has troubles locking a quiz on a student there is no easy fix.  Moodle doesn't lock students out (for me.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Toni Soto -

I fully subscribe Rick's words: "It is not just about "how many question types."  It is about the overall quiz engine."

Behind the design of the Moodle Quiz there was not only excellent developers but also people who understand what teachers and students need and how to improve learning.

Congratulations Moodle Community. Moodle Quiz Module is a gift!

smile

Toni