SERIOUS ERROR: Could not create admin user record !!!

by Robin May -
Number of replies: 11
Cannot setup an admin user. I went through all the install steps and then it went to user.php with this error: SERIOUS ERROR: Could not create admin user record !!!. I tried reinstalling with the nightly drop and still no luck. Is there a way to bypass this? Or a way to fix the script. I have the latest php and I am on a unix system.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robin May

Re: SERIOUS ERROR: Could not create admin user record !!!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, my first suggestion would be to try the latest nightly because it has upgraded database stuff for latest versions of PHP.

Are you sure there were absolutely no errors previous to this? Try dropping all the tables and start over from the beginning (using the recent nightly).

If that doesn't work, try also adding this line near the top of admin/user.php:
 $db->debug = true; 
... this should show you some extra information about the SQL being used just before the error is happening.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Robin May -
I inserted the code above and this is what I got.
(mysql): SELECT * FROM user_admins  

(mysql): SHOW COLUMNS FROM user  

(mysql): SELECT * FROM course WHERE category = '0'  

Please help!
In reply to Robin May

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Did you drop and recreate all the tables? Look closely at the output while it's creating tables for any errors in there you may have missed before.

This error you're getting above is consistent with the "user" table either not existing, or perhaps the database username/password not having read access to the tables.

by Robin May -
No other errors occur. I have tried everything. Everything is set as it should be. Is there a way to bypass or add to the script?
In reply to Robin May

by Martin Dougiamas -
If you drop all your database tables again and email me your URL, I'll take a look at it for you (in about 8 hours from this post).

The reason it says 'SERIOUS ERROR' is because being unable to read or write a table that you've just created means something is seriously wrong with the database or database connection.

by Robin May -
I have not had problems with using my other php databases. Here is the url: http://www.witchsvoice.com/moodle/

Thank you! I await to hear from you in 8 hours. Thanks, Robin
In reply to Robin May

by Martin Dougiamas -
I went through the install without incident (no errors).

by Robin May -
I changes my browser and voila, it worked. Thanks!
In reply to Robin May

by Martin Dougiamas -
That seems bizarre that it would be a browser issue (I still suspect something else) but just for the record, what browser were you using before (and after)?

by Robin May -
I was using internet explorer 5 for mac and switched to netscape 7 for mac and all went well.