Enroll with certain duration after first login

Enroll with certain duration after first login

by Chris P. -
Number of replies: 3

Hi!

I'm searching since a long time a way to present student a course with a defined length: for instance 10 weeks, that will start on first course access.

At this time the only way I found is to change manually the end date time after the 1st login of the student... you can imagine it's really time consuming and complicated to manage.

Is there any option/plugin/parameters to enroll students with certain duration after first login?

A thread exist from 2013 (here : https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=225263) but no solution was given unfortunately. I've checked plugin and found nothing nor in forums.

Context: The courses are same during all year long. Students can start when they want their course but should stay a maximum time in course for 10 weeks only.

On the manual enrollment page there are option like "starting from today", "start course" but no more ... from first course access!

Thanks @ all for your tips and feedback.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris P.

Re: Enroll with certain duration after first login

by Just H -
As a site administrator, you can specify the default time after which a user is unenrolled in Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Self enrolment
In reply to Chris P.

by Paula Clough -

Hello Chris,

As Just H said, you could change the default self enrollment settings across the site, if that is not wanted as you have other places that you need to have different enrollments, you could change it only in the courses you need this 10 week enrollment.   The self enrollment in the course can also have an enrollment key that would allow for keeping out students who should not be in the course.  

You could send out an email with a link to the course and the enrollment key. This would allow the student to enroll when they are ready to begin and be unenrolled after 10 weeks. Another way to get the information to the students is to have another course where you would manually enroll all the students. That course would point the students to the course they are going to complete either in an activity or in a label on the course page.  It would have the link to the course you want them to self enroll in and the enrollment key. You could even have images to show them the process if they will be new to the process. That way it would also be easy to change the enrollment key if need be and get it to any students who have not yet enrolled. 

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Chris P. -

@Just H: Thank you for your answer but I need to control which user will subscribe so self enrolment seems not to be a correct answer.

@Paula: thanks a lot for your explanation, but I'm not sure if this approach is corresponding to my needs. I'll try to explain and clarifying more precisely how I'm currently working on Moodle. If you're able to help me again it'll be great  ;)   

What I'm trying to have at this time a course that:

- is 'opened' (accessible) all year long for new students
- needs to be performed max. during 10 weeks (or before if student goes faster)
- is PRIVATE so I need to control the entry point, I don't wan't anybody to connect on.
- is able to control the first connection date in order to count 10 weeks of course.
- is controlling access for students during the 10 weeks without any control or action required from admin/teacher  (see above smile

So currently I'm doing the following action in order to subscribe a new student   (I need to improve this clearly ;) 

- with admin account: I manually create each student account (email, name, ID, temporary password that need to be changed, etc.),
- with teacher account: I subscribe the student to the course,  and give them the correct group definition on the course itself
- then I manually generate a PDF form giving them the written procedure how to connect to start the training session with their own ID/pass and send them by email.  (so it's really time consuming  sad

Then students may connect quickly, but some of them start the course 3 months after! It depends...

Then I regularly check on the participants, and when I see a new student is connected I then:
- I take my teacher account and go in Course Administration > Users > Users subscribed  and I select the new student, and then change the subscription date  (coming from manual subscription and not REAL 1st student connexion date) and I also calculte 10 weeks and change the end of subscription and activate  it .....   glouppsss!

As you can see, it's complicated for me...  How to improve this clearly ?

I'm ready to open self user creation under Moodle and let students the ability to create their own accounts.
Then the teacher may validate the student account (or not).

But at this time, how to control the famous 10 weeks of course?  I don't know when user will connect 1st time, and really want to avoid this task... 

FYI this course if configured with a length condition of 70 days (10 weeks) under Moodle.

Thanks again for your time, I can give further info/conf/parameters if necessary.

Bye!