How to personalize messages to students

How to personalize messages to students

by Robert Felix -
Number of replies: 4
When I use the "Message course users" function to communicate with students in a course using participants->select all->send message, I would like to personalize the message by addressing the student by name. Is there a way to do this with something like this:

Dear $fullname

I'm using version 1.9 but will be upgrading to either 2.6 or 3.x (haven't decided yet which one)

Thanks!

Robert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Felix

Re: How to personalize messages to students

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

When you are creating your bulk user message, there are ? icons for help.   Have you read those?

Not sure anyone would recall as 1.9 is so old now.   And don't re-call it being capable of using/accepting such variables (like $user).   Might have been a plugin for that at one time, but who knows where one could acquire it now.  In newer versions of the 2.x or 3.x series, there exist more extensive editing and customization of language files and forms.   This to suggest, think a better strategy would be to upgrade the Moodle then come back to personalizing after the upgrade/march.

Also a comment about that ... best read/research your options for migrating a 1.9.highest to anything higher ... it's called a migration.   Can be done but one cannot hyperjump to whaterver version you desire.    First step in the 'march' *must* be from 1.9.highest (so if your 1.9 isn't 1.9.highest then that becomes the first step) to no higher than a 2.2.highest.    Why?   Massive changes ... especially to the file system.   And that's a catch 22 for migrating a 1.9.x site to a 2.x ... all files and courses will use a thing called 'legacy' for file links.   And once a course is in legacy it's in legacy forever (not really using the new file system).

Besides that .. other catch 22's along the march ... certain versions required upgrades to PHP and to MySQL.

Please see: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases#Moodle_2.2

and

https://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Upgrading_to_Moodle_2.2

Since 2.2 would be the first step in the 'march'.

And, catch 22 #3 has to do with themes and addons ... got a stock 1.9?  IF you have addons, did those addons move upwards with Moodle or are they no longer compatible with higher versions?

How about 1.9 backups into a fresh 3.highest?    Well, that mgiht bring in most of the content ... barring any plugin that doesn't exisist for 3.highest ... but .... all files are "legacy' *and* no users contained in the backup will make it to the new Moodle.

I know the above response didn't spend much time addressing the problem and went beyond what you asked but ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Robert Felix -

Thanks Ken! I did go through all the ? icons and there's nothing about including personalized info or macro substitutions.  Ultimately what I'm trying to accomplish is to streamline the enrollment process. For people who want to take a bunch of my courses, it's reasonable to have them create an account and then enroll using the paypal plugin for payments. But that's a lengthy process with a lot of steps for someone who just wants to jump into a single course, and I saw recently a survey that said that on average, 58% of all online transactions are not completed by the end user because the process takes too long, is overly complicated or intrusive. The ideal situation would be a one-click does it all option, but I haven't seen anything like that so far.

I was hoping there would be more support for this sort of thing in the newer versions and I'm glad to hear that there will be - my plan is to migrate my student profiles only, and re-create all my courses fresh in order to avoid compatibility issues.  Are you using version 3.x yet? If so would you recommend skipping over version 2?

Best regards,

Robert

In reply to Robert Felix

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Welcome.   So you are gonna forget the 1.9 stuff for now, right?

I support servers that run as high as 3.0.highest right now ... tinker sites for 3.1 and 3.2 as there some new features that have proven to be difficult to setup/configure ... even for folks that have been at this for a while.   Besides, the corps/ISD's that I support are not interested in Search and Annotate so no desire on their part to upgrade ... will upgrade sites to 3.1.highest ... all of them, soon.

When it comes to Moodle, sooner or later one has to upgrade ... best have a version that is supported no only for code fixes but security fixes as well.

So now we're kinda sliding from personalization to the issue you'd realiy like to address  ... that of purchase of a course ... ie, take one for a fee.

Have read your other postings .... something to consider ... while Moodle comes with PayPal, am not sure that many might NOT register for a course and pay on your site because of PayPal.  Yes, I know it's one of the granddaddies in that arena, but it's also different from most.   Unless they are providing the options to use VISA, MC, etc.. now. 

MIght need to check into info of your learners (who you'd like to market to) ... are they Gen X, for example?

Ok, said enough about that ... am not in business.   There is a forum for such however:

https://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=32

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Robert Felix

by Robert Felix -

Thanks Ken, that's helpful. I might go with migrating to 2.x for now and take some time to learn more about the new features in 3.

By the way, PayPal does support checkout using any major credit or debit card. But yes, there are people who prefer not to use paypal. That's another consideration...

Onward,

Robert