Error installing themes in Moodle 3.2

Error installing themes in Moodle 3.2

by Suzie Ama -
Number of replies: 2

I have a new instance of Moodle 3.2 (not upgraded from a previous version). When attempting to install themes in the Plugin Installer, I get the following error:

Validating theme_eduhub ... Error
  [Error] Write access check [/home/educ/public_html/mod] 
Installation aborted due to validation failure
I have tried five different 3.2 themes with the same result.

As an aside, when I first installed the instance, the config.php file could not be created automatically. I had to copy and paste code provided into a document and manually upload the config.php file. Is that related?

Suzie Ama

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Suzie Ama

Re: Error installing themes in Moodle 3.2

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

All this is related to your server. So it would all depend on how you have set up the server in the first place. If you are on a hosting package using a shared server, then yes it is possible Moodle cannot set up the config.php so you will need to do this manually. It also means that you will need to make sure your Moodle site directories are set up correctly. This is why you are having problems installing your theme too. Moodle cannot install the theme because of the read/write/execute permissions of your Moodle directories.

I will move this to the Installing help forum.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Suzie Ama

Re: Error installing themes in Moodle 3.2

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Sounds like a permissions error but we don't have much to go on. What sort of server or hosting is it? What instructions did you follow to install Moodle?

I've said it before etc... but it pays you to spend a little time finding out and understanding how file permissions and ownership works on your chosen server or operating system. It will save you a lot of time in the end.