Page load speed

Page load speed

by Lucien Stals -
Number of replies: 1

Hi People,

We are running Moodle 3.2.

A lot of academics are using videos in their subjects, and the trend seems to be for people to use either Collapsed Topics layout, or Grid layout.

Both of these layouts load all the main content as a single page, then hide everything that's not being shown.

If there are 12 weeks in a semester, and the lecturer puts a small YouTube video in each week, then the page will load 12 videos before any of them are even visible. In reality, some subject have double this number of videos.

What this means in practice, is we have very slow page loads, as Moddle is busy loading all those videos.

I have one subject that routinley exceeds 40 seconds for page load (see attached image, although there is also some padlet stuff in there that seems to constantly poll it's own server and never lets the page load end). There's 150 students in that subject, so plenty of frustration to go around.

So my question is: Is anyone working on versions of these layouts (Grid and/or Collapsed topics) that *don't* load hidden content until that cell or section is clicked on?

This would speed page load time dramatically.

Let me know if I'm posting to the wrong area.

Cheers,

Lucien.

Attachment Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 3.14.52 PM.png
Average of ratings: -