Our setup:

load balancer with haproxy and memcached

2 backends ubuntu 14.04 PHP5+ Apache

Another one alone for the tests:

ubuntu 16.04 + php7-fpm

DB: mysql 5.7, plenty of RAM

NFS for moodledata

Moodle 3.1+

For many years, I've noticed that the avatars of users on the welcome page were displaying slowly, using pluginfile.php. It can be sometimes 17 sec! Today, I spent hours to understand. I put the profiling in config.php and noticed that SQL was fine 8/0 request in max 2ms. So I believe it was due to NFS and cache. I used xdebug and kcachegrind and discovered I was spending 99.3% of the time in session_start

As we use memcached It tried to change the lock parameters without success. Even reading the php memcached driver in C to understand the values. At the end I change moodle memcached.php:

/var/www/moodle.local/lib/classes/session/memcached.php

and change that:

ini_set('memcached.sess_locking', '0'); // Locking is required!

Obsviously things were going faster.. Just a few ms for all the icons. Before it was randomly an icon locked for a few sec..

I then looked at session locking to see if they were freed as fast as possible and saw many \core\session\manager::write_close(); // Unlock session during file serving. in filelib.php which is called by pluginfile.php

I don't understand why it is not running well.. Somewhere, there should be a piece of code locking sessions for too long. I hesitate to get rid of session locking in production..

Any advice?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dominique LALOT

Re: pluginfile.php performance and session locking

by Adam Eijdenberg -

Hi Dominique, you might be interested in: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-58018

(and if you're on PHP 7, you should consider applying: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-57477)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Adam Eijdenberg

Re: pluginfile.php performance and session locking

by Dominique LALOT -

Hi Adam

Thanks for the information. We are using PHP5 and PHP7 with the same problem. We have the online users block and we can see the start_session problem when the block is calling pluginfile.php

I can say that it's a very old problem I noticed somewhere around 2012. But haven't find time to investigate, just thinking pluginfile.php is very inefficient or believing that may be our NFS cluster had some strange problems.

So one day I used xdebug with profiler and discovered the problem. It's not related to PHP7 anyway and may be even memcached but just session locking.

As I followed your links, I'm not very confident that the core developers are concerned by that problem.